The VIPs

Charlotte McGill.

"Charlie, take these drinks to table no. 16." My boss Mason, ordered me from behind the counter. I sighed and moved towards him. I picked up the tray and offered Mason a small smile, which he returned before moving his gaze towards the computer screen. Mason isn't bad, he's just bossy sometimes.

I walked towards table no. 16, where two ladies were seated. I approached them and offered them their ordered drinks, "There you go, Ma'am. Would you like anything else?" I asked politely while offering a sweet smile.

"Yeah, some privacy." The lady in a blue dress said and rolled her eyes. My smile fell, but then I remembered Mason's words, 'Always smile in front of the customers, even if they are being a bitch on your face.' Therefore, I forced a tight fake one and walked away before nodding my head. I hate this job! What did I do to be treated like that?!

"Charlie, I need your help." Hailey, my colleague announced as I was making my way to get another order, before dragging me to the corner. Oh no, I'm not doing her shift again!

"What is it, Hailey?" I asked softly.

She sighed dramatically, "I'm not feeling well tonight." You never do. "I think I have a fever, my eyes are burning and my head's aching so badly." She continued. She looked just fine, I remember she had a killing migraine the day before yesterday. And how can I forget about her very sick boyfriend, who needed her last week? This is her routine, she always gets someone else to do her work twice and sometimes thrice a week - while, she enjoys the full pay.

I sighed, "Oh, well- there is some medicine in Mason's office. Why don't you take them and rest for a while and then continue, yes?" I suggested.

"I don't think medicine will make me feel better. I must go to the doctor." She replied weakly while sitting on the chair just beside her. I frowned as I saw her rubbing her temple. Is she sick? "I don't think I can wait until later. Can you please- please do my shift tonight?" She pleaded.

I open my mouth to reject, but she cut me off, "Just tonight, please? I swear I'll do anything you say. Please? I'm not lying- I swear." She begged and coughed lightly.

I gulped and looked at her for few seconds to see if she's faking it again, "I'll do your shift tomorrow. I promise. Please, help me out, Charlie." She begged weakly. Maybe she is sick. I don't think she's faking it.

"Uh- all right." I nodded my head, "You should go to the doctor." I asked her.

"Oh! Thank you so much!" She glowed. "My shift is a VIP section, tonight." She said. I, then realized that she's not in her uniform. "I'll make it up to you tomorrow, I promise!" She said and walked out of the door as nothing happened to her. I gaped as I saw her riding on a bike with some creepy dude. Bitch!

"She got you again, didn't she?" Mason's amused voice startled me. I turned around to see him leaning against the counter. "You are just so naive." He chuckled. My cheeks flushed, he's right. Anyone can make me fool. I ignored him and made my way to the break room. Why am I so stupid?

I splashed cold water on my face and stared at my reflection in the mirror. The water drops made their way towards my chin and jaw and dripped off my face. I'm just so stupid and naive. How can I let someone take advantage of me like that? Why can't I point out the difference between good and bad? Why am I not smart enough to perceive right and wrong in people? I took a deep breath and whipped off water from my face. It's useless to even ask these questions to me because I don't think I'll ever learn.

After freshening up a bit, I strolled out of the break room to finish Hailey's shift. My gaze traveled to my wristwatch to see it was already 9:00 pm. I'll have to work till eleven. It sucks to be me.
"Mason," I called out my boss to get his attention. He twirled his head towards me, "I- I'll be covering for Hailey tonight. What do I have to do?" I asked him. I know I have to take orders and serve but, I've never been to the VIP section, so I don't know how work goes there. I've heard it's completely different from here. I know it's up on the bar but, I don't know how customers get in there. I never saw anyone going upstairs other than the waiters and waitress.