Emails

Charlotte McGill.

Silence - absolute silence, I couldn't process it in, hell- I'm not even sure if I heard it right. I blinked rapidly, noticing that he was looking everywhere but me. It was like it hurt him to ask for my help. But, then why ask me if he doesn't want me near his daughter?

While searching for his eyes, I saw dark circles under his eyes. It looked like he hasn't shaved for a few days. His white shirt was wrinkled, his tie and coat were missing and the collar button is undone. I haven't interacted with him much- but whenever I had a chance to see him, he never looked like this. He almost looked troubled.

"Ms. McGill, will you please answer my question?" He sounded uncomfortable. I snapped out, realizing I was staring at him. Redness crept onto my cheeks.

I clear my throat and step aside, "Uh- why don't you come in Mr. Harrison?" I asked. He stared me for few seconds before sighing out loud and entering in. I bit my lip as I saw his eyes roaming around my house. I quietly closed the door and walked where Marcus was standing, eyeing every detail of my place carefully.

"Why don't you sit down, Mr. Harrison? Would you like to drink anything?" I asked. He slowly looked away from my 'Pink Panther' themed wall clock that Maria's father gifted to me when I was sixteen. Dammit! He saw it. Now, he must think I'm some immature girly girl. I closed my eyes tightly and released a shallow breath.

"Um- Maria's father gave it to me on my sixteenth birthday." I don't know I told him that. But, I had an urge to justify- hell! I haven't done anything wrong! Why would I have to justify myself?! Stupid. Stupid Charlie!

He didn't say anything but, nodded his head. I'm so stupid that I told this to him- he looked so uninterested. Why do I always end up embarrassing myself in front of him?

"Ms. McGill, would you please answer my question? I'm in a bit hurry." He stated. So professional.

I sighed, "I don't get it, Mr. Harrison. Till last week you were least interested in appointing me as your daughter's nanny. And now, all of a sudden- you came to my house, not to forget so late at night, to ask me to be your daughter's nanny? Why a sudden change of plans?" I questioned while folding my arms over my chest. I had to ask him that, I was curious - he was so determined with his decision till just last week and now he, himself walked at my door- asking me to his daughter's nanny? Suspicious.

He sighed and looked away while rubbing his eyes- he looked so tired and drained. He looked back at me, "Look, Ms. McGill - something extremely important came up. And- I, myself have to look into the matter. With such a tough schedule- I don't think I will be able to take care of my daughter. She needs someone to look after her when I'm not around." He answered.

I bit my lip and turned around, I don't know what to do. Do I want to be Kathryn's nanny? Oh God yes! But, do I want to work for Mr. Harrison? Uh- not so sure about that. He always gives me a cold shoulder and not to forget how he treated me at his place- he was polite yet too rude. God, he's complicated. What if he doesn't like the way I take care of his daughter and fires me? It's really hard to find another job these days.

Millions of questions popped up in my mind. I sighed and rubbed my temple.
"You can take your time if you want to. You can think about it and answer me by tomorrow?" He asked he must have seen me struggling. Taking my time to think about it, sounds like a good idea.

I turned around to face him, his eyes were fixed on my face- a deep frown on his face made him look older. "Yeah, I'll think about it," I replied. I didn't know what else to say. I wanted to ask about the details of this job- but, I'll ask those later- if I agree to work for him.