Lunch

Charlotte McGill.

I was not surprised by the choice of restaurant. It was big, fancy, and expensive - everything that I expected. Marcus is not the first Harrison I'm interacting with, I know them quite well. And I also know about their "ultimate fetish for expensive restaurants and all" - Maria's words not mine. I ran my eyes around to spot Marcus but, my sight couldn't catch him. The place was almost full, people sitting around talking, laughing, enjoying their food. This place must be very popular, I could tell by a long line in the waiting hall.

"Excuse me, Madam." I twirl my head to see a beautiful blonde woman in the maroon knee-length dress, "Do you have any reservation?" Her dark red lips stretch into a smile.

"Yes. I'm here to meet Mr. Harrison. Marcus Harrison." I replied.

"You must be -" She paused and glanced towards the tablet she had in her hands. "Miss Charlotte McGill." She added.

I smiled, "Yes I am." I replied.

"Welcome to 'The Jay's', Ms. McGill. I'm Farrah Yale. Mr. Harrison is waiting for you on the second floor. Please follow me." Farrah gestured me to follow her.

To the second floor, I kept repeating the words in my mind that I've been preparing since yesterday. Marcus Harrison is not the easiest person to impress, he might have approached me for the job but, he can change his mind in a blink and I can't afford that for two reasons, 1; I love his daughter and 2; I want a stable job with good pay, after all, I have bills and rent to pay and unfortunately both the job at the bar and the homemade cake business are not helping much.

When we reached the second floor, it was quieter than the first floor, although every table here was occupied. All the people present here were dressed up extremely well, only hushed voices and clicking of utensils were heard. No one even glanced towards us as we walked past them. Most of these people looked like they were in a business meeting or something.

"Excuse me, Mr. Harrison. Your guest has arrived." Farrah said to Marcus, whom I didn't notice before, was sitting at a small table for two. I was so preoccupied with the other things that I didn't see Marcus sitting right in front of me. He looked - different. When I last saw him, he did look tired but, right now he looked exhausted. He had dark circles under his eyes, his hair was messed up - It wasn't as fixed as they used to be. I had an urge to ask him if he's okay but, I kept quiet. He looked troubled and somehow it bothered me.

Marcus passed a smile to Farrah and thanked her. After asking Marcus if he needs anything Farrah left us. I was still standing by the table. My fist clenched around the strap of my bag, I was feeling very nervous. Marcus lifted his eyebrow at me and cleared his throat, "Miss McGill, you can sit." He waved his hand towards the empty seat in front of him. He somehow looked amused. My face burned with embarrassment, it has only been a few minutes and I already made fool of myself.

"Right," I mumbled and quietly sat on the chair while trying not to make any eye contact.

"Would you like to drink something?" He asked me. My throat was already dry. I desperately needed a drink to soothe it down.

"Yes. Water would be good." I replied.

Marcus asked a waiter to get us some water. The waiter soon came back with two glasses of water. I took no time to gulp half of the glass at once. It helps in eliminating discomfort from my throat and also calmed me a bit too. When it came to ordering, I was so confused but, gladly Marcus helped me out and I ended up ordering pasta, while Marcus ordered fish.

"So, let's get down to business." Marcus broke the silence.

"Yes. Sure. Uh, I'm willing to work for you. I will work for you. It will be my privilege to take care of your daughter - uh - I mean, Kathryn - Susan." Okay that's it Charlie, shut up now! I mentally scolded myself. Why do I always make fool of myself?

Marcus looked amused but, he didn't laugh or chuckle, thankfully. He passed on a small smile, "I'm glad to hear that, Miss McGill." He said. "You can join from tomorrow. But, first I have some rules that as my employee you have to follow." He added. I nodded my head, indicating him to proceed. "First, your job may require spending nights with my daughter as well. If I'm absent at night, you have to spend the night with her. Second, there will be some trips to different cities or countries, in which I would like you to accompany me - to take care of my daughter, of course. You cannot leave the house with my daughter without my permission first -"

"Not even to the park?" I interrupted him with a question.

He looked irritated by my interruption but, he didn't say anything about it. "Not even to the park." He affirmed. I only nodded my head.

"Third, I will give you some extra money weekly so that you can buy things you need for my daughter. And fourth, never tell anything about my daughter's being to anyone except for family." He concluded. He looked very concerned when he mentioned the fourth point. "Any question or problem?" He asked.

I nodded in response, "Uh- well no but, I want to clarify something before I start." She said.

Marcus frowned, "Okay?"

"Mr. Harrison, I will be your employee so there are two things I don't want you to do." I started. Marcus looked beyond confused but, he didn't say anything. "Firstly, I don't want you to buy me anything. No gifts, no clothes, and not even food. In short, I don't want you to do any financial favors for me. And secondly, please don't scold me on my mistakes in front of others. Believe me, I will start crying, it's in my nature, I can't control it." I paused because I heard Marcus chuckled. It was barely audible but, I was surprised, he always acts uptight in front of me. "Uh — yes, that's it. I hope you don't have any issue with that." I said.

His gaze fixed on my face. For a few seconds, we both stared at each other. I don't know why he's looking at me like that but I was just looking back at him because I didn't know what else to do.

"Ms. McGill, why would I buy you gifts or clothes or anything? I'm paying you for your service and I think that will make you capable of purchasing your things. But I'm not an absolute brute, I will offer you a bonus — only if I think you deserve it. And I don't have a habit of insulting my employees or anyone in front of others unless they have done something unacceptable." He said. "I'm not Silas, Ms. McGill. I don't play soft." He added and resumed eating the fish that he ordered. I looked at him, he ignored me like I wasn't there.

"Well, I know you are not," I stated with a nod. He spared me a glance and then again continued eating his lunch.

We both ate in silence, no one said anything to anyone. It was extremely awkward for me. I either eat while watching television or if I'm with someone, I have to talk to them or else I can't eat and that's exactly what happened. I hardly ate anything.

"I would have asked you for dessert but, I have to be at a meeting in an hour." Marcus broke a long and awkward silence. I placed my fork on the plate and lift my gaze to see him sipping water from his glass. I don't know what to say, his words made everything more awkward and uncomfortable for me.

"I don't want any, anyways," I replied short.

He must have noticed the discomfort, therefore he cleared his throat and placed his glass on the table, "But if you want some, I could ask them to pack some dessert for you." He added.
"No, thank you. I'm already full." I shook my head and fetch my clutch from my purse. I didn't even eat properly and here I have to spend so much money on this dish.

"Please don't." Marcus interrupted me.

I know he's referring not to pay my bill but, I have to. I can't let him pay for me. Especially after my 'I don't want you to pay for me' speech.

"Marcus, I just said that I don't —"

"Yes, I remember. But you said as my employee and you haven't started working for me yet. So technically I can pay. And this is a meeting and the employer always pays for these kinds of meetings. So, please don't bother." He said. I bit my lip and nodded my head. He is right, plus I don't have much money to spend on food I barely ate.

After writing a cheque and leaving a fair amount of tip, Marcus and I stood up from our seats. "I hope it will be a good experience to work with you. You can start tomorrow, Miss McGill." He said and stretched his right hand for a handshake.

I shook hands with him, "I hope so too." I replied. "Uh— Mr. Marcus, please call me Charlie," I asked him.

He smiled and nodded his head, "We'll see about that."