Overthinking

I rubbed my hands on my thighs to whip the sweat off my palms. I twirled my head towards the staircase fourth time in the last thirty seconds to see if Marcus is coming but, he is still in Kathryn's room. I sighed and massage the back of my neck – I just hope he doesn't fire me. I just got this job and I love it – I don't want to go back to some café – just to serve food to the perverted jerks.

Just when I was worrying over my misery – Marcus climbed down the stair. The tapping of his footsteps made me stand on my feet. Just when he was on the mid-stairs I drew in a long breath and stepped towards the staircase, "Mr. Harrison, you cannot fire me over such a small matter. I did nothing wrong. When you called I was changing Kathryn's diaper – and you already called four times so I thought that if I only missed one call you will not mind. Seriously, I had no intension to be so careless. I wasn't careless at all – ask Penny if you don't believe me. I fed your daughter, I bathed her, I changed her diapers and I even cleaned her room! I made sure that she gets the best care! What else do you want me to do?!" I said it all rapidly. Till the end, I was pretty much out of the breath.

While I was freaking out – he looked calm, after a pause of few seconds he sighed shoved his hands in his pockets, "Are you done, Miss McGill?" He asked.

I bit my lip – a little embarrassed on my rant, "Yes." I mumbled.

"Miss McGill, I am not firing you. Now please calm down and listen to me." He asked.

I felt relaxed as soon as he said that. Thank God I still have my job. For a second he doesn't seem like a scary monster to me – like he usually does. "Yes," I replied short.

"I want to say that make sure that it doesn't happen again. If you miss a call – it's okay but please make sure to call me back as soon as you can. Miss McGill, my daughter is the most precious person to me. I don't like it when I am away from her and when I am unaware of her well-being. As a father, it is my right to know how she is doing and, as an employee, it is your duty to report to me about her and attend every call I make – even it is thousand times a day. But, I shouldn't have snapped at you at your first mistake." He said to me. I frowned – I am not sure if he's apologizing but, it doesn't matter as long as I have my job.

"Yes, I get that. I am sorry – it will not happen again, Mr. Harrison." I replied to him.

He sighed and passed me a small smile, "Thank you for your service today, Miss McGill. You did a great job." He said.

I chuckled and bit my lip, "Thank you, Mr. Harrison." I am truly happy that a man like Marcus – who is never satisfied with anyone's work when it comes to his daughter – is happy with my job. I didn't know what to do now as he's home – should I leave? But it isn't even five yet.

"You are home early," I said. I regretted my words as soon as they escape my mouth. I am a weird person who cannot stand 'awkward silences' but, when it comes to Marcus – I think silence is better than words – especially for me.

He frowned and glanced at his wristwatch, "Yes, a lot early." He chuckled. My eyes widened – Marcus 'The Great' Harrison chuckled – in front of me. Miracles do happen. "It is the first when I am away from Susan for so long – I guess the time wasn't passing for me." He replied and rested his hands on his hips.

"Don't worry, Mr. Harrison – I love your daughter just as much as you do. I will take care of her. You don't have to leave your work because of her." I uttered.

He nodded his head, "I know that. I was anyways done with work at the office – I will wrap up the remaining work here." He reasoned. I know he's lying – he was here because he was worried to leave his daughter alone with me. I don't blame him – he is just like that.