Chapter 15

Daniel's pov

One week later

I got ready in the morning with a heavy heart. The important meeting in the morning with the Matthews and dad's surgery.

I heard a knock on my door and opened it. I saw layla standing there. 'Breakfast is ready.' she said and I nodded and followed her. She had already served it and I started eating it. I must have looked tensed because layla said, 'You will do well Daniel.' she said.

I was working like a crazy person for the past few days trying to get everything right. Every detail. Sometimes I would come home really late.

When layla said that I just took her hand in mine. She nodded and reassured me.

'Layla I will drop you....' I started saying when layla said, 'Don't bother. Just go ahead to your company. I have taken today's day off. I am going to be at the hospital with mom. I will call you after the surgery.' she said.

'Thanks a lot layla.' I said. 'No need, they both are my parents too.' she said.

Afterwards we both left and went in opposite directions. She went towards the hospital and I went towards the office.

Five minutes before the big meeting when I was about to switch off my phone I got a message from layla: surgery started.' it said.

I sighed and switched off my phone.

Then the Matthews arrived and we started our meeting. I gave our presentation along with my CFO and board of directors. Every slide was detailed carefully.

Then we sat down and discussed a lot. The exchange went back and forth for about few hours. Lunch was included in it.

Finally after talking a lot more about business prepositions they seemed to be satisfied.

Mr. Matthew, the chairman of their company finally spoke, 'Well, I have known Mr. Robert for years. He is one of the most successful and intelligent businessmen out there. Today when I heard that he was not going to be there I had my doubts but I must say Mr. Daniel, I am impressed. I hope we will work well together. We are signing the deal.' He said smiling and extending his hand forward to shake it.

I smiled as well and shook his hand. Everybody in our company was happy. This was going to help our company increase threefold now.

Thwy left after a while and I was the happiest person on earth and that moment. I completed some pending work that was left and told my secretary that I was leaving. It had been right hours now and I needed to go to the hospital immedietly to see how dad was doing.

I switched on my phone and walked towards the parking lot. I told my driver to take the day off since I wanted to go over there myself to meet them. When I stepped inside the parking I heard someone calling out my name.

To my biggest surprise I saw layla walking towards me. She had big smile on her face. 'Aunt told me to come here to give you the news. It was a seven hour surgery, the tumor was removed. Uncle is going to be fine  Daniel. Absolutely fine.' she said with tears in her eyes.

I pulled her in my arms and hugged her tightly and closed my eyes. 'This is best news in the world.' I told her.

She pulled away but my arms were still around her. 'Oh yeah, umm... That meeting was there today right? How did it go?' she asked me.

'It went well. It was a success. The Matthews signed the deal.' I said to her smiling. 'That's great! Oh my god. See, there was nothing to worry about. Everyone is going to be happy.' she said.

I pulled her towards me again and hugged her. 'Yeah, everyone is going to be happy. Thanks layla.' I said.

'Why are you thanking me?' she whispered in my ear in a confused voice.

'You gave me courage to face today. I was eased out a little bit because of you. I was so irresponsible before. Thanks layla.' I said.

She patted my back, 'Oh come on Daniel.' she said and pulled away. 'So, let's go to the hospital?' she asked. I smiled at her and nodded.

Dad was still under heavy sedation but we met mom who looked overjoyed and said that dad will get discharge in a few days. We talked with her a lot and then left. In the hospital I even got a call from Caleb. I told him the good news and he went ahead congratulated me. He said he will come to visit dad later when he comes home. That didn't stop him from sending a huge bouquet of flowers for him right away.

Me and layla left the hospital. We sat in the car and I started driving home. 'You will have to wait a little bit for dinner. I have not been able to make anything.' she said.

I laughed and said, 'Why don't we go at my house today to make dinner. I will wash the dishes afterwards.' I told her.

'Seriously?' she asked me. 'Yup, I am talking extremely seriously.' I told her. 'OK then. Dinner at your place.' she said.

We both reached and I went ahead and parked my car. We both got out and went upstairs to my penthouse. She took off her coat and tied her hair up to go and start cooking dinner. I held her hand and stopped her. 'On second thought, we can order takeout for both of us. What do you say?' I asked her.

'For both of us?' 'Yeah. We have been sticking to our diets for too long. Let's order pizza today.' I suggested.

'Pizza seems nice.' she said. I called up a nice restaurant and told them to deliver two pizzas with toppings selected by both of us. When I went ahead and cut the call I saw layla taking money out of her purse.

'What are you doing?' I asked her. 'Giving you my share' she replied. 'I don't want it. I am not taking it.' I said to her. 'Don't be like this Daniel.' she said. 'I am not taking it. Do what you want.' I said to her. 

She finally gave up and kept her money in her purse. The pizza arrived  and we both started eating it. It was nice and fun.

After that she decided to her place and left me alone. After she left I just looking at the door waiting for it to open and for her to come running into my arms and be there for an eternity.

Layla, my special one.