Flashbacks

"No." I said, "No, I can't."

Maria paused, "Uh – why can't you?" she asked.

I bit my lip and held the phone between my shoulder and ear. I was about to answer her when I saw Kathie running across the room. I shrieked and ran after her and picked her up in my arms before she could collide with the table, "Kathie, you will hurt yourself." I mumbled to her as she laughed.

"Hello, Charlotte?" Maria said from the other side of the phone.

"Uh – yes, I am here," I said distractedly as I put Kathie on the floor where her toys were but, she wasn't interested in them – she had her eyes on my phone. She launched and tried to grab my phone when I backed away. "Uh – no Kathie, you can't have it. Here, look – it's your favorite penguin." I said as I held her stuff-penguin in my hand to distract her attention from my phone but, she didn't even spare a glance at her penguin and kept trying to get a hold on my phone. I could hear Maria laughing on the other side of the phone – she was enjoying it – but, I ignored her.

"Oh my God, I miss her so much. It has been so long since I met her." Maria said.

I smiled, "Why don't you come and visit us?" I asked her as I kissed Kathie's forehead as she finally gave up on the phone and started playing with her toys, "Kathie would love a visit from her aunt Maria, won't you Kathie?" I asked her. She looked up and giggled.

Maria sighed, "I wish I could but, Leo's coming today." She said. I didn't reply – I just sat on the floor beside Kathie. "Speaking of which – tell me why can't you come tomorrow?" she asked again.

I internally groaned and mashed my lips together. Leo is coming back today and Maria is throwing a little party for him tomorrow – she wants me to come as well and I don't want to go.

"I have work tomorrow," I said. It was true – I did have work tomorrow.

"But, the party starts at seven in the evening. And you could directly come from work with Marcus." She said.

My heart flipped as I heard his name. I sat straight and frowned, "You invited him too?" I asked a little loudly.

She was quiet for a moment, "Yes, I did. Everyone's coming – even Owen and Elizabeth are coming. You have to come, Charlie. I am not taking no for an answer." She said sternly.

I knitted my brows in confusion, "Owen and Elizabeth are here?" I asked her.

"No, but they are arriving tomorrow morning and I asked them to join us in the evening." She replied. "Come on Charlie, everyone will be there – even your boyfriend is coming – you have to come." She insisted.

I flinched as she called Joe my boyfriend. I feel horrible – I can't believe I developed a crush on my boss when I already have Joe in my life. I sighed, "Maria, I can't." I whined. I want to tell her why but, I can't – it is too embarrassing.

"Shut up. You are coming." She ordered. "And if I don't see you at my place on sharp seven in the evening – I swear I will come to your place and I will drag you to mine." She scolded. I sighed and closed my eyes tightly. Before I could reply she cut off the phone, causing me to curse under my breath.

I faked a sob and lied on the floor. I heard a shuffle so, I twirled my head to see Kathie lying beside me with her hands on her stomach – just like mine. I smiled as I realized that she was mimicking me. She grinned as she looked at me. I turned to my left side and put my left forearm under my head – facing her and sighed, "You are beautiful, you know that?" I said to her slowly. She giggled and said something – which I didn't get. I frowned and bit my lower lip worriedly, "Aunt Maria doesn't get it. She doesn't know what I have done. I can't go there – I can't face Leo." I said to her but, she ignored me.