I Can Do It, You Should Go

Elizabeth and Owen were next to come after Marcus. Owen looked thinner and weaker than before – everything that happened has affected him. He was mingling like before but, the spark was missing. Elizabeth looked quite different as well. She has colored her naturally brunette hair into strawberry blonde and cut her long hair into long bobs. She pierced her nose too – that looks pretty good on her. Other than that, she is still the same friendly out-spoken girl. I smiled as I looked at everyone laughing at something that Joe said to Elizabeth and in return Elizabeth smacked his head playfully. It was good to see Harrison's and Wayne's stilling together – laughing and enjoying after such a long time.

I have been ignoring Leo since I came. I won't be wrong to say that he is doing the same. That kiss changed everything for us – I wish I could turn back the clock and somehow undo that kiss. I don't know what I was thinking then. I was young, depressed, and madly in love with my best friend's brother. I sighed – so many stupid things I have done when I was younger and this would be on the top of the list.

"Charlie, can you please help me in the kitchen?" I snapped out when I heard Maria's voice.

I looked at her, "Huh?" I said and looked around to see almost everyone's looking at me. My cheeks burned as I cleared my throat. "Uh, yes – sure," I said and got up from the carpeted floor. I flinched as I felt a sharp pain in my knee – I shouldn't have sat on the floor. I glanced at Marcus to see him frowning while looking at me.

"Thank you." Maria sat and collected her crutches and stood up from the couch with the help of them. We both walked into the kitchen while the others resumed talking.

Maria was walking ahead of me while I was following her. She turned around to face me when we entered the kitchen and sighed, "What happened to you?" she asked.

I frowned, "What?" I asked – I didn't understand what she meant. Then I realized that she must have seen me flinching then and now because of my knee injury. "Oh – that. It was nothing – I slipped and fell on my knee. It hurts a little to fold my knee but, the pain is nothing compared to yesterday's. It is almost gone, now." I explained.

Maria knitted her brows, "What? What happened? How did you fall?" She questioned.

"Wait. You weren't talking about my knee injury?" I asked confusingly.

She shook her head, "No, I didn't even know about it." She replied. "Does it hurt much? Maybe you shouldn't be standing for long." She added.

I shook my head, "No – no, I am fine. What were you talking about then?" I asked.

"I was talking about you. You look unnerved today. Why is that? Is everything okay?" She said. "And I also couldn't help but notice some tension between you and Leo. Is everything fine? Did he say something to you?" She added. Her question almost made me choke on my saliva.

I was panicking internally but, I didn't lose my cool in front of her. I chuckled nervously, "What? I don't know what you are talking about. Everything's fine. My knee hurts – that's all." I tried to cover it up.

She exhaled and looked at me for a few seconds. "Okay." She finally said. "But, you can tell me anything, you know that right?" She asked.

I gulped, "Of course, I know that." I smiled. She smiled back and nodded her head. I felt guilty – I always tell her every small detail about my life and I was hiding something so big from her. I wanted to tell her a long time ago but, I am afraid how she will react.

After our small talk – I helped her with dinner. I put the plates on the table and helped her make the salad. Meanwhile, we were talking about this and that. I was chopping tomatoes when Silas entered the kitchen. I twirled around to see him opening the refrigerator's door while his eyes were on Maria – who was steering the sauce with a wooden spoon. He then glanced at me and smiled while I returned.