Don't Leave

The kiss was cut short as Kathie came running in the kitchen and grasped to her father's leg. Marcus looks down at his daughter and lifts her in his arms – this time he didn't have the smile he usually has on his face whenever he looks at his daughter. I, on the other hand, was still mesmerized by the feeling of his lips against mine. I touched my lips lightly and smiled – he kissed me back – I was happy – beyond happy actually. I was still feeling the tingling sensation from his kiss.

Marcus did his back to me while he was holding his daughter in his arms. I put my hand over his shoulder and felt his getting stiffed under my touch, "Marcus?" I called his name slowly.

He sighed, "Not now, Charlotte." He said and swiftly walked out of the kitchen – leaving me stunned. The smile fell off my face – the ecstatic feeling was gone – now replaced with miserableness.

All of a sudden, I started feeling unsettled. I gulped and jump off the counter before walking out of the kitchen to see Marcus sitting on the couch with his face hiding under his palms while Kathie was sitting on the floor beside his feet – playing with the toys that her father got for her. I slowly made my way towards him. "Marcus," I called his name but, he didn't look at me. I sighed and stood right in front of him, "You can't ignore me after what happened." My voice wobbled.

He sighed loudly and finally looked at me. His eyes were glossy, "I can't do this." He shook his head lightly.

My heart dropped in my stomach, "What do you mean by that?" I asked.

He stood up on his feet, "We can't do this. That kiss – it should not have happened. It was a mistake." He said and walked pass by me.

I was left speechless – I couldn't move. I felt mixed emotions – I was disappointed because he was rejecting me after kissing me and I felt angry as well because he has no right to kiss me and then walked away. I glanced at Kathie who was busy playing with her toys. I felt wetness on my cheek – I didn't even notice that I was crying. I wipe off the tears and sniffed before walking towards where Marcus was standing.

He was staring out of the window wall with his hands pressed against the glass while he was leaning in with his head downcast. "I will leave," I spoke loudly – I could feel him getting stiffed but, he didn't move, so I continued. "I will leave and I will never show you my face again – ever." I said causing him to finally twirl around and look at me, "Only when you will tell me that you feel nothing about me – only if you will tell me that – that kiss meant nothing to you – I swear, I will leave." I added as tears fell from my eyes.

He closed his eyes and gulped – my eyes followed his Adam's apple's movement. "Charlotte, you need to understand this – we –" he motioned his index finger between the two of us, "This can never happen." He said.

His reply was unsettling for me, so I narrowed my eyes, "Then why did you kiss me?" I asked him.

"I don't know." He mumbled and tried to walk past me but, I held him by his arm.

I shook my head, "You do know. You know exactly why you kissed me – you just don't want to accept that." I said to him. "You may not like me as I do but, you definitely feel something for me, or else you would have never kissed me back," I added.

He looked down at me – his eyes said it all – I was right. He shook his head, "We can't do this." He whispered to me again, "Charlotte, I can't – I just can't." he said and released his arm from my grip.

"Why can't you, Marcus? Answer me?" I pleaded. I wiped my cheek as I could taste the saltiness of tears on my lips. When he didn't answer I stepped back, "Is it because of Susan?" I asked him.