Not Him

The next morning I woke up early. The whole night I was tossing around – I hardly got any sleep. I just couldn't stop thinking about Marcus. Each time I would close my eyes – his eyes filled with anger, disappointment and betrayal would come up in front of my eyes. The burden of the accusation was so heavy over my shoulder that I could hardly properly breathe. There isn't any time of the day when I don't think about everything that happened. There isn't a single moment of the day when I won't blame myself for being tricked so easily.

I sighed and stood up and saw the sun rising– the darkness of the night was surrendering to the light of the day. The sky was turning into an orange shade. The birds were chippering – celebrating yet another day. I look at the desolate road just in front of my apartment – there was a time when I used to go jogging early in the morning to clear up my mind. Today, after so many years, I am again in need of that.

I walked out into the lounge to see Maria still sleeping on the couch. I walked back to my room and changed into black leggings and a grey tank top before wearing my joggers. I tied my hair in a high ponytail and left a note on the kitchen counter for Maria to inform her that I was going on jogging. I didn't take my phone with me as I didn't want any sort of distraction but, I didn't forget to check before I leave to see if he texted me yet where he would be meeting me. I glanced at sleeping Maria and walked out of my apartment.

By the time I came out – the darkness completely surrendered to the light. The air was still a little chilly and the street was slightly damped by the dew. I jogged in my place for a few moments before running towards no particular destination.

I jogged for almost an hour and ended up sitting on a bench in a park near my apartment. I was out of breath and thirsty but, I wasn't ready to go home yet – I need some more time alone. I sat on the bench and looked around. People were jogging and walking on the track, at one corner there was a group of senior citizens doing laughter therapy while another small group of women was practicing yoga. I sat there long enough. When I finally decided to leave – the park was almost empty. Just a few people were walking around. I didn't know what the time was as I left my cell phone and wrist-watch at home – so after concluding that it was late enough, I stood up on my feet and walked back to my apartment.

I slowly climbed the stairs of the building and lightly knocked on the door of my apartment. I hope Maria would still be there because I didn't bring the keys with me. After hearing muffled voices – Maria finally opened the door.

"What took you so long?" she asked. "I was so worried." She added concernedly.

I sighed, "I went on jogging. I left the note, didn't you see it?" I asked.

"Yes, I did but, I have been awake for almost three hours and you weren't here when I woke up. It doesn't take so long to jog." She pointed out.

I shrugged, "I needed some time to clear my mind." I answered.

She was quiet for a few seconds before she nodded her, "I get it." She said.

I nodded my head and twisted my lips, "So, will you let me in now?" I asked her as she was blocking my way to enter.

She chuckled nervously and backed away, "Oh, yeah – uh – but, Charlie I want you to –" She was saying as I walked into my apartment. But, I stopped listening to her as I halted in my way because I sensed the familiar smell. I frowned and lift my head to look at the person I thought I would never see.

"Marcus?" I whispered.

There stood Marcus and Silas. Marcus was standing in the middle of the room while Silas was sitting on the couch right behind his brother. Silas saw me standing and he stood up before buttoning his jacket. I twirled around to see Maria biting her lower lip. "I didn't know that they would come." She answered my unasked question.