No One New

Someone broke into my apartment – when I heard that I couldn't process for a few seconds. I was left stunned – this messed up game is getting dangerous day by day. I am tangled in this mess and no matter how hard I try I will only become a more vivid part of it. Silas asked me to stay at home with Kathie and Elizabeth but, I declined. How can I stay here knowing that someone broke into my home? I was going with them whether they like it or not.

Silas tried to stop me – he told me how dangerous could it be but, Marcus was silent – too silent. He wasn't reacting or saying anything. When I forced Silas to take me with them – Marcus only nodded his head before hastily walking into the house. I stared at the place where Marcus was standing just a few seconds ago.

"Change into dry clothes, Charlotte," Silas said to me. I twirled to look at Silas – he didn't look pleased with the fact that I was coming with them but, I don't care – I was going and that was it. I only nodded and slowly made my way in the house – leaving Silas alone in the heavy rain.

I shivered as I entered the room. I don't know if I was because of the cold or because I was scared. Just a month ago – I was living a typical boring life and now within few weeks I was accused of stealing, got fired, someone has been stalking me, someone shoots the security guard outside my apartment and now this – someone broke in my home. I slide down on the floor and closed my eyes tightly – why is this happening to me? What have I done to anyone for receiving such threatening treatment?

I opened my eyes to remember that it was all happening because they are after Marcus – they want to hurt him and the only way to hurt him is to hurt the people that are close to him – who are precious to him. A fat drop of tear fell off my eyes as I closed them tightly. I let out a sob as I felt unassisted.

I was drowning in my misery when the door of the room opened. I sniffed and hurriedly wipe off the tears off my face and stood up on my feet. I turned around to see Marcus standing at the door frame – still in his wetsuit. I frowned as he stepped into the room, "You need to leave." He stated.

"What?" I asked him.

He gulped, "You need to leave. I don't want you here. I will pay for your tickets and residency. Buy a ticket to wherever you want to go in the world and just – leave. Go somewhere else and live your life. You need to get away from me." He said without even looking at me.

I was quiet for a few seconds. I was quietly observing the situation – at first, I was confused but, now I was getting it all. "And who gave you the authority to tell me to leave?" I asked as I narrowed my eyes.

He finally lifted his head and stared right into my eyes, "Charlotte, you don't understand – it is all getting dangerous day after day. I know who is behind all this and he is not a harmless person. He will destroy you to harm me and I swear Charlotte, I won't let that happen so, just listen to me once and stay away from me." He said.

"Oh? What about your daughter, Marcus? Will you send her away to keep her safe as well?" I asked him as I folded my arms over my chest.

His shoulders loosen as he bowed his head. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, "Yes." He said lowly. "If it is about her security then yes – I will send her away as well – away from me where she can live a normal life – a happy life because I know that neither she nor you can ever be happy with me." He replied half-heartedly.

His words were like a blow to my guts. My hands fell by my side as I looked at the vulnerable and unassisted man – he was not the Marcus I know – he was not the man I fell for. This man was losing hope – this man accepted his defeat. I sniggered as a tear fell from my eye, "You have no idea how wrong you are." I said to him.