Scared

"Charlotte, are you hurt?" Marcus asked me as I stayed still on the ground. My eyes were fixed at the place where once the black SUV was. "Charlotte, listen to me. Charlotte, look at me." Marcus grabbed my face and shook me as I was not reacting nor looking at him. "Charlotte!" Marcus called out my name louder than before. I finally averted my gaze to his as a tear fell from my eyes.

There was a small bruise on his face – my father must have hit him in the face as well. Marcus's brows drew together as he was looking for any injury that might happen to me but, little does he know – the physical pain below my left rib was nothing compared to the emotional pain I was going through. "Charlotte, everything is okay. You are okay." Marcus whispered as his voice wobbled. He pulled me to him and embraced me in his long and strong arms. Normal this would have made me feel better but, right now – I feel numb – confused – heartbroken.

All the memories I had about my parents came back rushing – for ten years I have believed that my parents died. For ten years I have been drowning in the grief of their death. For the last ten years, I have been all alone – thinking that I have lost my family. But, I was wrong – my father was alive and the worst part is that he came to kill me – his daughter. If he is alive – does that mean my mother is also alive? Why did they do this to me? Why did they abandoned me and then returned to try to kill me? What is happening to me?

"Charlie, are you hurt?" I heard Ben's concerned voice but, I was too stunned to reply.

"Marcus, she is in shock. Silas, take her home and Marcus – you come with me, you need medical attention." I heard Owen speaking.

Silas and Owen were talking about something but, I didn't give any attention to it. The picture of my father holding a gun above my head was messing up with my mind, "Dad." I whispered as I remember the expression that I saw on his face – like he was shocked to see me here.

"What?" Marcus asked bewilderedly as he slowly pulled away from me.

I looked at him with widened eyes, "Dad." I again said. "Marcus, he – he – he was my – father." I pointed towards the road where the car went.

"What?"

I gulped as I felt a lump in my throat, "He was my father, Marcus." I said to him. "The man that held the gun over my head was my father," I explained to him. Everyone including Marcus went quiet as they all looked at me in pure shock.

"What are you saying?" Marcus whispered. "I – I thought – I thought your parents passed away." He said bewilderedly.

I let out a sob and nodded my head, "That is what I was told! I thought they died but, he was my father." I cried out.

Marcus pushed back my hair that stuck to my face due to sweat and tears, "Okay, calm down – okay? Just calm down, all right? We have to go. Come on, stand up." Marcus said gently. I hiccupped and held Marcus's hand as he helped me up. My legs were shaking and I was sweating badly – I just couldn't calm myself – I was too overwhelmed. Marcus hissed as he tried to walk me to Silas's car. I stopped and looked at his bruised face, "You – you are hurt." I said softly.

"I am okay. Let's go now." He said to me.

"Marcus, let Silas take her home. You need medical attention, son." Owen said to his son at which Marcus shook his head.

"No, I will go home with her. I am fine – it doesn't hurt much." Marcus declined and walked towards Silas's car with me.

"Marcus, your father is right. You need to go and see a doctor." I said to him but, he didn't reply to me and wordlessly opened the door for me to sit in. I looked at him for a few seconds but, he didn't look into my eyes – I sighed and slowly sat in the car. Marcus closed the door after me and turned around to talk to his father. The windows were closed which is why I couldn't hear him speak.