Promise

"She is stressed. She just needs to rest more." I heard a female voice. "She will wake up – but, right now – let her rest. She needs it." I heard the same woman speaking before I once again went into a deep slumber.

I don't know how long I woke up. I slowly opened my eyes to see the plain white ceiling. I sighed and winced as I felt the ache in my head. I frowned and looked towards my left to see Maria sitting on the chair with her head resting on the bed. My sight was a little blurry so, I blinked rapidly to adjust it. I gulped to eliminate the uneasy feeling in my throat – it felt like burning. I tried to move my left hand but, I couldn't as a tube was attached to it. I looked around to see that I wasn't at Silas's place – I was in the hospital.

My hand movement woke Maria up. She lifted her head to look at me with sleepy eyes. Her eyes widened and the sleep was gone from them as she saw me awake, "Charlie, oh God – you are awake." She exclaimed and put her hand on my head, "You scared me." She said lowly as she caressed my hair. She then picked a water bottle from the side-table and pour water into a plastic glass before she helped me lean in to drink. The water soothed my throat. "Thank God, you are okay – I was so scared," Maria said with tears in her eyes.

I frowned but, soon realized what she was saying. Everything that happened went through my eyes. Joe came to Silas's place – he tried to get to Kathie – he shot Ben and hit Elizabeth! I gasped and tried to sit up but, Maria held me down. "Easy – relax, Charlie. Everything is okay." She tried to calm me down.

"Where is Kathie? And – and Ben – God! He was shot! Is he okay?! And – and Elizabeth?? Joe hit her on the head." I was panicking and my breathing was getting abnormal.

Maria rubbed my shoulder, "Yes – yes Charlie, everyone is fine." Her words were able to help me calm my nerves. I closed my eyes tightly and sighed out loud in relief – everyone was okay. "Ben got shot on the shoulder – thankfully the bullet didn't do much damage. He moved away at the right time or else he would have been seriously injured. Elizabeth is fine as well – she got four stitches on her head. She is resting at home right now and Ben is admitted to the room right next to you." She pointed her thumb to the left.

"Kathie? How is she?" I asked.

"She is fine as well. She is with Marcus at their penthouse." Maria replied and sighed.

Marcus – I remember how guilty he looked, how helpless he looked when he came in after Joe left. I mashed my lips, "Did – did Marcus came – came to see me?" I asked Maria while playing with my fingers.

I heard her chuckling. I lifted my head to see a small smile on her face. "Yes, he was. He was here for four hours straight but, then Kathie started to cry and asked for Marcus so, he had to leave. But, he didn't forget to instruct me not to leave your side." Maria answered. I was happy that he was here but, the burden of the event that took place doesn't allow me to be happy. It is good that he is with her – Kathie needs her the most.

"I would like to see Ben," I told Maria. He risked his life for me – I owe him everything.

Maria nodded, "He is sleeping, right now. I went to see him half an hour ago – the doctors were giving him painkillers. You can meet him when he will wake up." Maria answered.

Maria told me that I was out for twelve hours. When the doctor came for the checkup – they told me that I will be discharged in a couple of hours. I lost my consciousness because of stress. I was so stressed and scared that my periods started two weeks early. My body couldn't handle the shock. The doctor instructed me to stay away from stress – maybe take some vacation or see a therapist. I am desperately trying to get away from everything but, I am not going to leave Marcus and Kathie in this mess. It is a war and I am a part of it – I am not going to run away. I will have to fight.