Chapter Nineteen: Alex

Alex woke up the next morning to loud annoying singing. Unfortunately, it was coming from inside her own head.

"Can you feel the love tonight. Can you..."

"Can you shut up?" Alex growled at her wolf. Glancing at her phone. "It's 5:30 in the fucking morning."

"Today is good day. We're going to see mates, and you won't be a dick."

"A, grammar. B, I'm not a dick," Alex muttered. Standing out and collecting her clothes.

"A, I no care. I am wolf. 2, yes you are." Xandara continued in a sing song voice, "you have one and you are one."

Alex sighed, seeing that she was not going to win this argument. She just got dressed and ready for the day.

A couple hours later saw her resuming her previous seat next to Sophia in their English. Though the unlike the other day, she didn't avoid Reina's eyes. Reina smiled brightly at her and Alex returned a small shy one of her own.

"Good morning class," Grace greeted smiling. "I hope you enjoyed those seats because now I'm going to assign seats. We're going to get started a partner project that will last until Thanksgiving break and I've already chosen the pairs. I'm going to started calling your names please wait until I finish then find a seat with your partner. Up first Reina Alvarez and Alex Xander..." Grace continued on listing names ignoring the annoyed glare from her foster daughter. Once Grace finished pairing Sophia with a guy named Hank, Alex grabbed her bag and moved over to the empty seat next to Reina.

"Remind me to thank your foster mom for pairing us up," Reina whispered happily, Alex just gave nervous nod. Being alone with Reina was different than yesterday when it was just the three of them. Alex could feel the power that Reina had as an Alpha and that both intrigued and terrified her. The last Alpha that Alex had met didn't leave...a good impression. She felt a painful twitch in her back at the memory.

Before she could get lost down the darkness of memory lane, Alex's thoughts were halted by Grace explaining the project. They were going to be reading a variety of plays over the next couple of weeks then the partners would have pick one of the plays and rewrite them into a modern setting. Reina and Alex didn't talk much more for the remaining class period.

Once the bell rang signally the end of class, Reina spoke to Alex as they were packing up their things.

"Hey, what lunch do you have?"

"...First lunch," Alex sighed knowing that her mates had the same lunch that she did. Reina beamed happily.

"Great! I'll see you at lunch then. Dana and I usually meet up by the stature of the first Royal Triumvirate and head to lunch from there. Join us please?"

Alex nodded and gave a small smile, "sure. See you then."

A couple hours later found Alex in the cafeteria sitting across from her mates with a tray of school lunch.

Dana looked at her food distastefully, "I can't wait until we can go off campus for lunch." Her lunch was a plain salad

"Why can't you? You guys are seniors, right?" Alex asked.

"Yeah. But no one is allowed to go off campus for lunch during the first week of school. To build 'unity' or something," Reina explained, she was eating a burger and fries.

Alex took a bite of her pizza and let out a surprised hum, "this is actually pretty good. Most human schools don't have school lunches like this."

"What are human schools like?" Dana asked curiously. "I've never been to one. I grew up homeschooled at my old pack."

Alex shrugged noncommittally, "its honestly not that different from this one. Lot of people. Cliques and blah. Classes. I dunno, I never really fit in. Foster kid, ya know? I never really lived with any human foster families for longer than a couple months at a time."

"Did you ever date anyone?" Reina asked unable to keep a growl from her voice. Alex looked surprised.

"No!" she said quickly. "I uh never really wanted too. What about you guys? Did you date anyone before meeting each other." Both Reina and Dana shook their heads firmly.

Dana frowned and muttered morosely, "well unless you count..."

"I don't. Don't even bring him up," Reina growled angrily. Alex glanced between the two of them surprised. Dana stabbed a piece of salad and Reina, while growling, tore a chunk out of her burger.

"Uh ok. Changing the subject...Reina, what doyou want to do for our project?" Alex said. With that they moved onto lightertopics.