Magic Training With the Trickster God of Mischief-What Could Go Wrong?

"I don't really see how this is gonna help me find my magic."

"Don't be such a nay-sayer, Perseus!" Thor called out helpfully.

"Says the god behind the indestructible glass," Percy yelled back. He'd long since given up on corrected the two Asgardians about his name. They'd call him whatever they felt like at that moment.

"This is a terrible idea," Percy told the other brother in front of him.

Loki's gaze flickered up from where he'd been twirling his knife. Seeing nothing of importance, Loki returned to playing with his weapon. "Your opinion has been noted. Several times. But it has no value in the decision."

Percy scowled and crossed his arms, glaring at the conceited prince before him. "I'm pretty sure it does. In fact, I think my opinion matters the most."

Loki's gaze never left the knife. "If you say so."

The son of Poseidon groaned. He was getting nowhere with the two Norse gods.

Loki finally looked up when Percy was silent for a few moments. He stared at the fuming Greek before sighing. "How many times must I explain this, Percy? You are not able to find seiðr the normal way. So we must try something else. I believe your best option is to experience seiðr firsthand. And you seem to learn and focus best when you are moving and fighting. So we hope to find your magic by fighting with me."

"But I've fought all the time and never seen even a glimpse of magic," Percy protested for the umpteenth time.

"You weren't a god then. And you weren't fighting a magic user," Loki pointed out calmly. "Once you experience seiðr, feel its effects on your body, then you may understand it better. Muscle memory and all that. Besides," he added, "it would be good for you to get used to fighting as a god."

Percy sighed. The Silvertongue's words made sense, like they often did, but still... "I can't believe Thor agreed to this," Percy grumbled under his breath.

Thor had returned from Asgard to find the two in Loki's room. Loki had been lying on his bed and reading one of his books. Percyd been sitting on the floor, trying—and failing—to see magic.

According to the god of thunder, Odin had granted Loki a bit more time on Thor's behest. When Loki proposed his idea to Thor, without even consulting Percy first, Thor had agreed (with a little persuasion from his brother). And so, the two gods had dragged the protesting teen to the training room.

There, Thor had removed Loki's inhibitors. Luckily, Tony had installed magic dampeners around the training room after the New York attack. So while Loki could do whatever he wanted in the actual training room itself, his magic could not extend any farther. And since Percy was the only one in the room with him, Loki could not hurt anyone except Percy.

It wasn't like Loki could hold Percy hostage, since Thor could just reactive the inhibitors. And there was no reason for Loki to kill Percy. The Greek had quickly learned that Loki was a creature who cared greatly about his own self-interests. Loki would gain nothing from killing Percy, in fact he'd lose more than anything, so the likelihood of that happening was minimal at best.

Which was much better than Percy's normal odds.

The three of them had silently agreed to not tell any of the other Avengers. The mortals would have adamantly opposed Loki's idea, probably with good reason.

"Are you ready?" Loki asked, shifting into a fighting stance.

Percy was pretty sure the question was rhetorical. The god didn't seem to particularly care if Percy was ready or not.