38. L U C Y

A few more days passed by like a gush of wind. They went so fast, I was surprised to hear my doctors next words.

"You're free to go home, Miss Partridge. I will discharge you this afternoon and will arrange further tests and checks for in the months coming."

"Thank you so much!" I sighed and shut my eyes in contentment. "I can't wait to get home and in bed."

Home. What was home anymore? The last thing I remember was living on my own, my room being ochre yellow and definitely not having a boyfriend or a baby. So where was home now? A surge of sickness began whirling it's way through my tummy, threatening to throw up this mornings breakfast. I was absolutely terrified to face reality.

"Is everything okay?" I hadn't realised he was still in the room. "You look taken back all of a sudden, you were excited just a second ago." He looked at me inquisitively before sitting down beside me. He was no psychologist but it was clear he knew something was up.

"I'm scared." I admitted through a whisper, as I stared down at the unattractive green hospital blanket enveloping my body.

Reaching for my hand, he said, "I understand. But I have huge faith that Mr Baxter and that sweet little baby girl of yours will make you feel safe as soon as they get here. Don't you worry." His enthusiastic smile brought a smile to my own face. He was right about that, I strangely felt safe around Baxter and I wasn't sure why. Well, apart from the obvious - he clearly means something to me inside. It was just so strange. Until you experience memory loss, you wouldn't understand.

"I'm scared I won't be able to settle, or build that bond with my baby." I felt tears shredding my eyes, stinging and burning. I didn't want to cry again.

"Miss Partridge, you have already bonded with your baby. I saw you the other day, it's clear as day how much you both love each other. Try not to think too much, and focus on what's in front of you. The past will only resurface if it wants to, you need to focus on making memories now." His words were so true, but they were like a gut to the heart. I wanted my memories back. But he was right, I should focus on now and our baby. The connection I feel for both Angel and Bax is like no other, it's confusing but full of so much emotion. There's so much love holding us together.

"Thank you. You're right, I need to focus on now." I smiled, watching him leave the room.

As the door opened for him, Bax came striding towards me. Angel was in her little car seat by his side, and a huge smile tugged the corners of his lips as he looked at me. The butterflies and strangely familiar sense of contentment and happiness, filled my whole body. My doctor was right, I had to focus on now. And right now, I wanted so bad to go home with Bax and Angel. I wanted to spend the evening getting to know Bax inside and out, finding out why I fell so hard for him in the first place.

"Morning, Beautiful." He kissed my cheek, lingering for longer than needed, giving me opportunity to inhale his scent. His aftershave also smelt familiar, as well did his shampoo.

I was about to speak when something spun through my brain. A thought that felt more like a memory. A club, bright lights, stale beer filled my nostrils mixed with his scent. Then he came into view, smartly dressed in front of me.

"Baby? What happened? Look at me!" He sounded distressed as his eyes glanced across my face. "I'm calling the doctor-"

"No, don't." I shook my head, noticing a tear had struck my cheek. "I had a memory, I think. I'm not sure."

His eyes widened and he settled on the bed. "What was it?"

"A club, you were there. Your scent, it reminded me somehow." I sniffed back my tears as I studied him.