Chapter 7

That evening we went to a keggar to make everything seem normal

That evening we went to a keggar to make everything seem normal. People couldn't find out about everything we found. The compass, the money at the hotel, and the cop incident.

The boneyard quickly filled with people. I hover around in a corner, sipping on a beer. I watch as JJ challenges girl after girl to drinking competitions. John B talks to random people, Pogue's and Tourons. I see him talking to a blonde girl. She was clearly flirting with him as she laughed and leaned toward him. Kiara talks to a guy, evidently slightly drunk. My brother was also talking to a girl. She seemed slightly uncomfortable by whatever he was talking about. That was a pretty typical occurrence.

Suddenly a loud voice catches my attention. I look up and find Sarah climbing an old life guard tower. Topper stands beneath the tower, yelling at her.

"Sarah! Sarah, be careful okay? What are you doing?" Sarah leans down and jumps off the tower, into his arms.

If those two were here that meant Rafe was definitely here too. I glance around the beach looking for the older boy.

I find him leaning against a tree, talking to another girl. I make my way toward him but don't approach him, trying to get his attention. I feel his eyes on me as I walk by. I look back at him, giving him a small wave. He flicks his eyes back to the girl, continuing to talk to her. I raise my eyebrows, slightly annoyed.

I make my way back over to my friends. I hangout with them until the sun goes down. I walk over to grab another beer from the keg. As I make my way back over to my friends I notice a fight breaking out between the Kooks and the Pogue's.

I watch as John B shoves Topper backward. I step in grabbing John B's hand and pulling him away. "John B, no. We're supposed to be flying under the radar."

"Babe, babe, babe.." Sarah tries to stop Topper.

Topper throws a punch at John B who pushes me out of the way to avoid me being the one to get hit. I stumble into my brother's arms.

"You good?" He asks.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm okay."

Topper hits the brunette again, knocking him into the ocean.

"Chill!" Kie yells.

"Hey, John B! Don't make me drown you like your old man, all right?" Topper yells.

I step in again, pushing Topper away from John B. "That's not funny, Top! Don't do that." I say seriously.

"Mila, it's okay." John B says standing, he grips my shoulders looking at me. "I need you to stay out of it."

I back up, walking back to my brother. I watch Topper knock John B back into the water. John B stands and grabs Topper around the waist, knocking him to the ground.

"Stop, you guys!" Kie yells again.

The boys continue to fight, getting more and more aggressive. People cheer, watching the fight grow. Sarah yells at the boys to stop.

"Come on, Topper!" John B taunts, shoving the blonde into the water again.

"John B, please!"

"Let's go! Come on!"

Topper grabs John B and tackles him into the water. Topper shoves John B'd head in the water, holding the boy underwater.

"Topper!" Sarah shouts. "Topper, stop! No!"

Topper continues to hold the boy underwater. I step toward them again. "Topper, okay! Stop! You're gonna kill him!"

Topper ignores me. I rush toward him, pushing him away from John B. He keeps a hand on John B's head, keeping him under water. He pushes me away with the other arm. He then kicks out with his leg, sending me sprawling into the water.

I feel arms wrap underneath my own, pulling me to my feet. I turn around, ready to push them away, only to find Rafe. "Don't get involved, please." I beg, tears burned in my eyes.

"I won't, I won't." He reassures.

"Rafe. He's gonna drown him." I say terrified.

"Shh, it'll be okay." He places a hand on the small of my back.

I watch as JJ walks up to the fighting boys. He points the gun against Toppers head. I feel Rafe move to walk toward them. I push against his chest, trying to get him to stay next to me.

"No, no, no. Cameron, please." I sob.

"Okay, okay." He says holding his hands up in surrender. His eyes soften as he looks at me.

"Please just go home." I beg. "Rafe, please."

"Come with me."

"I can't." I shake my head violently. "Please go."

"Okay." He nods, finally giving in. I watch as walks toward his car and leaves along with everyone else.

I turn back to the chaos. "JJ! Don't!" I yell.

"Put the gun down!" Sarah demands.

"Did you say something princess?" JJ asks the girl.

"We're good. We're good." Topper holds his hands up in surrender, crawling away from JJ.

"Put the gun down!" Sarah yells again. "Kie! Can you check your psycho friend please?"

I walk toward the girl. I place my hands on her shoulders. "Sarah, listen to me! You have to stop. You're just amping them up more. Please." She nods at me, her face dropping.

"Okay, everyone, listen up!" JJ shouts loudly. "Get the hell off our side of the island!" JJ points the gun in the air, letting out two warning shots.

"Are you crazy? You idiot!" Pope runs over to the boy, pushing him back.

"I'm saving his life, okay?" JJ yells pushing him back.

"Guys, stop!" I yell.

I rush over to John B, who was slowly sitting up in the water. He starts to collapse, falling backward. I reach out to catch him. I place his head in my lap. "John B! Hey, John B, please. Come on, you gotta wake up." His head lolls to the side, his eyes fluttering. "John B!" Tears we're burning in my eyes. His eyes open, looking up at me. A tear drips off my face landing on his.

"I'm okay." He says. He reaches a hand up, wiping the tears on my face. I help him into a sitting position.

I cup his face on my hands. "You fucking scared me!" I say.

"I know, I know." He pulls me into a hug. "I'm okay, Mi. I'm right here."