Sugawara & Oikawa - Cross the Pacific

AU: Regular (Breakup + New boo)

Requested

Tags: GN!Reader, angst, fluff, swearing, mentions of alcohol, time skip spoilers, and a lot of implied happenings so read carefully to get context

Word Count: 6k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

The gym was loud, constantly being filled with the screams of boys running around the meshed fabric as they sent balls flying in every direction. Maybe a crude description despite your knowledge of the sport, but you thought it was fitting as you watched from the sidelines next to the silver setter with a bruised knuckle.

The volleyball player winced, as you slowly moved the joint. You looked up to his panting figure, watching as he took back a large gulp of iced water with his head tilted back. A small bead of sweat trickled down the length of his neck, racing down to meet the collar of his white shirt, now turned a translucent grey in some spots from absorbing sweat off of his neck and face. You handed him a small towel, warmth dancing along your cheeks like pin needles, eager to hide the view from your sight.

With nimble fingers, you wrapped the swollen digit gently with medical tape, attaching it to the one next to it. "Koushi," you sighed. "You're meant to set the ball, not jab your finger into it."

"I know, I know. I just messed up," he laughed, giving his taped fingers a little wiggle as he removed them from your grip. "Have you heard anything from the universities yet?"

You shook your head, kissing your teeth to make a small tsk escape you as you packed up your small medkit. "Nothing. Those places don't deserve me anyway, I've got bigger things coming my way. I just know it." Despite your bravado, you could feel the small shake in your chest.

Koushi sent you a big grin, giving you a silent boost of confidence, before standing up. "You finished with the Med-club, right? I hope I didn't pull you out too early."

"We finished up early today, so don't worry." With a big swing of your bag, you got to your feet. "I'm gonna head home, okay?"

"(L/N)!" You heard Hinata call from the other end of the gym. "Come join us and play for a bit! Your boyfriend can teach you some more!" He bargained, desperately hoping you could stay longer in case a ball found his nose to be an attractive place to slam into. Though, he would never say that loud, too prideful and easily picked on for that.

"No can do, Hinata," you laughed, making him pout and let his shoulders fall with the weight of his arms. You turned to look at Koushi again, enjoying the practice of looking into the dark olive-green colour of his eyes.

"Do you want me to walk you? It's getting kind of late," he asked following your footsteps to the metal doors, ignoring the yells of his younger teammates calling for him to return.