Don't Leave Me Here

~I can't forget. The sun don't set for me.~ Freya Ridings.
Chapter Theme Song: 'Elephant' by Freya Ridings ^^

•••

Third-person Pov

Spring is that season that usually brings a feeling of refined bliss.

The temperature is mild and soothing, possessing a delicate warmth that spans widely over the earth. The grasses are a soft green that resembles a hint of blue and the balm air leaks the sweet scent of pollen and blooming flowers. Despite the clemency of the weather, however, Rainey cannot help feeling like it's winter on the inside. Her heart is cold and empty, and no amount of May's vibrant sunshine can thaw her soul.

"Slate?"

"Rainey."

"Rainey Slate?"

She snaps her eyes from the window and to Ms. Forbes who is inspecting her from beneath her thick-rimmed glasses. She shrinks into her shoulders as the lady perches against her desk.

"What is Logic in Mathematics?"

She had spaced out once again. Her days have been a lot like this lately. She constantly becomes detached from her surroundings with only thoughts of Ansel raiding her mind. It has become a new norm for her these past three weeks and it only worsens as each day goes by.

She glances around at the many staring faces; Riley among them, giving her friend a soft smile of encouragement.

"Slate?" Ms. Forbes prims her lips expectantly, but noticeably, her face isn't hard this time. Traces of patience and gentleness can be seen in her beady chestnut eyes.

"Do you know the answer?"

"Uh..." Rainey stares at a graffiti on the hardwood desk, rubbing her palms together. "Logic is the foundation which underlies mathematical logic and the rest of mathematics. It tries to formalize valid reasoning. In particular, it attempts to define what constitutes a proof."

Ms. Forbes nods in approval. "Very well, Slate."

The distant girl wastes no time to absentmindedly drag her eyes back to the window. Riley, who is sitting just a row away, gauges her with sad eyes before chewing on her lip and focusing back to her notebook.

"That's it for today, remember to revise for the end of year exams starting next week." Ms. Forbes gathers her files and the class begins their noisy gibbering as she regards the distracted teen at the back of the room. "Slate? Can I speak with you?"

Looking away from the evening scenery, Rainey dispatches a soft sigh before reluctantly grabbing her bag from the ground. She sluggishly strides up to the front of the room while pushing her arms through the leather straps.

"Yes?"

The teacher's lips stretch in a wrinkly smile. "You weren't here last week, we returned the group assignments, but since Ansel King—"

She stops short and Rainey drops her eyes as her heart rips for the hundredth time today.

"Anyway, I just thought you could keep the paper." She takes up a thick brown binder from her desk before pushing her glasses up on the bridge of her nose. She ruffles through the file of papers while Rainey glances back at Riley, silently telling her that she'll be there in a minute.

"Here it is. You both did so well."

Training her eyes on the lady, Rainey slowly retrieves the outstretched paper from her hand. As soon as she inspects it, her stomach tightens. It was the Math group project she and Ansel had done a while back. She stares at his perfect handwriting for a while and memories of that moment in her room come rushing back.