Old Fashioned Mail

Thing's are going good and the business only gets stronger with each passing day. No, it's not the Empire it use to be before the rug was snatched from under our feet but it's getting there.... And I'm doing it alone.

For the most part I've been faithful to Zoe since she confronted me but I must admit that it's a challenge. Mostly I just stay away from clubs and other places where women can be found. I stay focused on my work and that occupies me enough. I guess I can say that Zoe serves me well. She stands by and doesn't question my decisions, helps me strategize and plays the part of a queen.

I'm proud to say that the building is looking as magnificent as ever and the money is flowing in. Recently I begin purchasing the club's and restaurants that we previously owned but was stripped of during the raid. I also had the cop that I used to clear the Harper name knocked off. One thing that I learned a long time ago was to never trust a cop. If Jax taught me anything it was that they will eventually squeal and plot against you. I'm not about to go down that road again like my parents did. I took care of the problem before it could be a problem.

However I'm shocked about the lack of response I got from my family, well mostly my Pape. It's been two week's since I delivered my gift along with my taunting message to him. I would have thought by now that he would have busted back up in here ready to claim his throne back but not one word as of yet. That's not my Pape. Normally his impulsive side kicks in and he's ready for battle. I find it all strange and maybe even disappointing. I guess I was looking forward to fighting my old man. Then again could I be doing this in a way to reach out to them? Okay, I'll admit that I do miss them even though I'm still sore that they could think that I'd betray them in such a way. I guess no answer is my answer. My family is officially done with me.

Yet still it just doesn't add up. Even if they was through with me I'm nearly certain that they would still come to take the Empire back. Perhaps they are back building and planning to take me by surprise or maybe they are rebuilding their empire somewhere else. Whatever the reason I'll be ready. I keep my men on high alert for such an attack. Once I even spoke to Zoe about my worries and asked if maybe I should try to convince them of my innocence again but she didn't think that it was a good idea. Even though Zoe misses her parents she thinks it's for the best right now. And she's probably right. I'm sure if I contacted my Pape it would be just one big argument that would lead to worse.

Then it happened. At first I didn't really believe it. I thought it was someone trying to set a trap for me. It was a normal afternoon. I was sitting behind my desk in my office at the den, well my Pape's office. I was looking over the details of a weapon deal that was about to go down when one of my men tapped on the door. Allowing him entrance, he handed me a slip of paper. "A man stopped me in the street. He claimed to be one of King Harper's men. He handed me this and said it was vital that it got to you". He huffed out.

Nodding my head, I unraveled the paper and begin to read. "I assume you would want to know that's why I've sent this letter out. G-mama is suffering kidney failure and it doesn't look good. Each of us have proved not to be a match. I'm afraid to say that her day's are numbered. If you would like to see her before it's too late come immediately. Mizery".

I sat cold just staring at the scribble on the paper. This news hurt but still I had to question if it was true. Could it be a setup? There was no way I was going to risk not seeing my g-mama but I wasn't going to risk a attack either. Without a second thought, I grabbed my phone a dialed my mother. Thankfully she answered in the third ring. "Hello?" She asked with a tinge of concern at the strange number.

A pang vibrated my chest at hearing her voice. "Mom". Was all I could say.

" Oh my God Duel. My baby". She said in excitement and I could hear the tears in her voice as well.

"Are you okay? How are you? I miss you so much". She went on.

I wanted nothing more than to catch up but I remembered the reason for this call. "I just got word that g-mama is sick and not doing good".

" that's true. She's very sick Duel and I don't think she'll last one more month. We can't find a match". Mom said with regret.

Before I knew what I was saying I spoke. "I'll test and send you my samples. If I match I'll do it. Just give me an address" .

Within two hour's I was at my own medical clinic having the tests ran. By that night they was on a plane to Vegas. Early the next morning my mom called me back. Half crying, half excited she rushed out. "It's a match. You match".

My heart sped up and I replied. "You'll have a kidney delivered by tonight. Make preparations" . Then I disconnected.

Without a thought I marched into the medical facility removing my shirt. "Get a team together pronto, we got a kidney to remove".

I have them final instructions to where the kidney was to be sent and escorted myself to the nearest operating room. No sooner than I slipped my pants off Zoe busted in. "You can't be serious?" She squeaked .

"I am. My g-mama will live."  I said

"Duel do you know the stats on such a procedure? Due to her age she might not survive at all then you'll be without. Also there's no guarantee that her body will not reject it so it could be all for nothing". She exclaimed.

" I don't care. At least I'll know that I tried". I stated.

"Think about this Duel. You will be out of commission for a few month's. You'll lose money, deals, there could be an attack but you'll be weak. That weapon deal goes down in three day's. We need you healthy and leading". She protested.

" I've left it in my most trusted men's hands. All is well now I'll see you afterwards ". I said as I inserted a needle in my arm and laid on the table.

I can't recall much more but I do remember waking up several hours later filling like a hole had been burned into my stomach. The next few day's I was in and out due to meds. However I recall my room door crashing open with tremendous force and seeing my Pape barge in. In my medicated haze I grinned up at him lopsided. "There you are you fucker. I been wanting to kick your ass". Then I was gone again.

Why do you think Zoe was against Duel contacting his family?

Will Laney survive with Duel's kidney?

Do you think Dem is really there or it's a product of Duel's medicated mind?