Chapter Sixty

This chapter is dedicated to _iamawerido_ for bombarding my notification with votes. It made my day! Thank you :)

"I'm worried about you, honey," Mom says, looking at me like I might fall apart any second now

I stayed till midnight at that empty house last night in case Liam came back. But he didn't. I didn't even bother to turn the light on as I waited. I felt too numb.

After midnight I couldn't take another second in that room, so I came back home. Mom heard Lux barking and came to check out the noise. And I didn't have to say a word. She knew something wasn't right the moment she saw me. I couldn't hold it in any longer. I told her everything, and it was comforting because she knows about love and pain more than any person I know. When she told me everything would work out and that I'll be okay, I believed her.

"I'm fine," I tell her, my voice a little hoarse.

I clear my throat, taking a sip of my coffee.

"Is she sick?" Zach asks mom, playing with Lux and acting as if I am not there.

"I'm not," I answer.

"Then what's wrong with your voice?" Dean asks. "And your eyes."

"She had an allergic reaction. Go get in the car and put your seat belts on. I'll be right out." Mom tells them.

They shrug, picking up their backpacks and walking out.

"Sweetie, don't stress. He probably needed a little time to think. I'm sure you will see him at school today." She says.

That is just it, though. I have a terrible feeling he won't show up. If this is Liam's way of breaking up with me, I have no idea how I will ever recover.

"I hope so," I say, getting up. "You're going to see Steff, right?"

"Yeah." She nods. "I'll stop by the ER to see her on my way in. I have surgery later."

"Tell her I'm sending her healing energies."

"I will." She gives me a smile.

"See you later, mom." I grab my keys and my backpack.

"Wait." She calls, and I turn around. "Uh,.. you... you know Eric, right? Our next-door neighbor, the medical director."

"I know who Eric is, mom." I chuckle.

"Right!" She laughs nervously. "Well, he asked me out."

"Oh?" I eye her, not bothering to hide my smile. "That's nice. He seems like a great guy."

"You think so?" She eyes me hopefully. "It has been so long since I went out with anyone. Not since your father."

"Well, I think you should go out with him," I tell her. "It's about high time."