Chapter 12. Bitter Feelings

Sorry it's been a while since I last updated! Hope you enjoy this chapter.

Olivia was awoken by the sunlight glistening through her curtain. A smile immediately grew onto her face, ever since last night she had been so overly joyful it was difficult to sleep. It took her around an hour to fully fall asleep, and due to this, she woke up much later than usual.

Most mornings she would lie in the white silk sheets not wanting to get up, but today she immediately got up after waking. The girl strolled towards her dresser and changed into a plain purple dress that fell just below her knees.

On top of her dresser was the necklace Nathaniel gave her, she had taken it off before sleeping. She gazed at the glimmering pendant before picking it up and wrapping it around her neck.

It still didn't feel right that she was now the owner of such a beautiful necklace, but she couldn't deny she did look amazing wearing it. She would have to remind herself to thank Nathaniel again today, making sure he knew how much she appreciated the gift.

Once she felt ready, Olivia opened her bedroom door and began walking through the dimly lit hallways. Just as she was about to head down the stairs, Olivia heard a high-pitched voice coming from somewhere.

She turned her head in the direction of the voice, only realising that it was coming from a familiar room.

It was coming from The Lord's bedroom.

Learning from her past mistakes, she made sure to be extra quiet as she walked towards the sound. She slowly placed her ear on the carved mahogany door and listened. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but she could easily tell it was Lord Nathaniel and another woman conversing. Olivia slowly stepped away from the door. She felt a strong and confusing mix of hurt and envy. Why was there a woman in his bedroom?

Her eyes widened when she heard footsteps from the door becoming louder and louder. The girl wasted no time and dashed away from the door as she stood behind a wall.

Hearing the door clicking open, she slowly peeked only to see Lord Nathaniel and Lady Sophia standing together outside of his door. She frowned seeing the two together, of course, it was Lady Sophia.

Why did Nathaniel even like her? He was always kind and polite, and she was the exact opposite.

Once Nathaniel closed his door, they began walking together in another direction. Once they were completely gone Olivia let out a deep sigh.

She returned to her room quickly just in case they decided to come back.

As she entered, she stood in front of her vanity again. Looking at her reflection in the mirror, her eyes were glued onto the necklace around her neck. Perhaps it was best if she didn't wear it, it didn't exactly match with her dress. She told herself it was because of that reason and nothing else.

She quickly took the necklace off and instead wore the dark blue one that belonged to her late mother.

She felt slightly guilty for not wearing the necklace he gave to her, but she doubted it would bother him that much.

Olivia was now sat in the kitchen, deep in thought as she patiently waited for her breakfast.

Why did it bother her so much that Lady Sophia was with The Lord?

Now that she thought about it, why wouldn't he spend time with her? Lady Sophia being beautiful was an understatement, although her personality was far from pretty.

Olivia didn't think too much about how she looked, but she had to admit she did feel slightly insecure as she compared herself to Lady Sophia.

She thanked a young maid who placed her breakfast on the kitchen table, a plate of eggs and bacon. Olivia began cutting the cooked meat, and as the maid left another person entered.