Chapter Fifty Two

"EMILY LOOK" Miles yelled, racing down the hall to catch up with me, flyer clutched in his hand, "A ball!"
"Ball?"
"A dance! Dancing! Drinks! A party!" He exclaimed, grabbing my hands and twirling us around in a little circle. Laughing, I almost missed Bethany launching herself towards us, joining in the impromptu dancing.
"What are we so happy for?" She asked, giggling as Miles twirled her into a particularly low dip, letting out a shriek as she was brought back to her feet.
"They're throwing a Yule ball" he replied.
Beth gasped, shrieking in excitement, "this is AMAZING!"
I laughed, stumbling out of the little dance, letting the two of them carry on as I checked over my shoulder.
"Who will you be asking to go with you, then? Any of the Beaubatons girls fall for your charms yet, Miles?"
He sniggered, wiggling his eyebrows at me as Beth slapped his arm, "Who hasn't fallen for my charms"
"Me you prick" Beth said, elbowing him in the side.
"Yeah but you like boobs more than I do so that hardly counts-"
"Hey!"
"What? I'm not wrong!"
I laughed, crossing my arms and rolling my eyes, "You have your pick of the lot Miles, you've never exactly been fussy"

Miles narrowed his eyes at me, before raising his hands in surrender, "You've got me there"Beth giggled, slinging her arms over both of our shoulders, "Let's just say that none of us here are 100% straight and be done with it""Fair enough""Sounds ...

Beth giggled, slinging her arms over both of our shoulders, "Let's just say that none of us here are 100% straight and be done with it"
"Fair enough"
"Sounds good to me - but you're still the gayest Beth"
She released us, flouncing a couple of steps ahead and falling into a dramatic curtesy, "Of course I am, I'd take it as an insult to be told any less"
"You're ridiculous" I laughed.
"No my darling" she said, pausing dramatically, "We are ridiculous"

I jumped slightly as arms enclosed around me from the back, instantly relaxing into them at the familiar smell of Fred.
"I've been looking for you everywhere" he murmured, leaning over so that his lips brushed against my ear.
I barely withheld a shiver at the feeling, instead humming curiously, urging him to go on.
"George and Lee are doing something tonight so I thought that we could sneak into Hogsmeade for a little date?"
A smile crept on to my face, my hands moving to rest over his, "Sneaking out of the castle? What kind of rebel do you take me for Mr Weasley?"
Fred snorted, ducking so his lips brushed my shoulder, head staying there, "A bratty rebel, that's for sure"
Laughing, I twirled around to face him, staying within his arms, "I'd love to go"
Feeling his lips curl into a smile on my neck, he placed a kiss there before pulling away, winking suavely, "See you at 5 then, the one eyed witch"
With that, he walked off, giving a wave to Beth and Miles as he went. As he disappeared around the corner, Beth slapped my arm, mouth agape.
"Since when was Fred Weasley smooth?"
"What?"
Miles chuckled, leaning against Beth with an impressed expression, "she's got a point. When did he stop getting so flustered and start... taking charge like that?"
I blinked, re-evaluating the last few minutes through new eyes, "I- gosh I don't know"
Beth smirked, wiggling her eyebrows wildly, "Well you've got another date! Things must be going well"
I smiled, eyes straying to where Fred had walked away, "Yeah, yeah they are"
"Look at you getting soppy" Miles snickered.
"Shut up" I frowned, losing the fight against the smile that tugged at my lips.

"You're late" I sang, leaning against the statue with a smile.
"I needed to make a short stop" Fred mumbled against my lips, kissing me as he performed the charm to open the secret passage, pushing me into it with a mischievous smile.
"After you m'lady"
"Why thank you" I giggled, starting down the familiar corridor with practiced steps, "so what's the plan for today?"
"Well I borrowed a picnic blanket from the kitchens" Fred smiled, "I'm thinking we dip in to the Hogs Head and get some food to go, maybe sit by the Shrieking Shack?"
My smile brightened, "sounds perfect"

The two of us fell silent as we listened for activity in the sweetshop's basement, crawling through the exit at the all-clear.
Integrating with the late night shoppers was easy, pretending to look at the chocoball selection before slipping out of the shop and making our way further down the high street.
Fred gasped as we passed Zonkos, eyes widening at the new line of dungbombs, "twice as long lasting? Filch'll have a heart attack"
I snorted, grabbing the back of his jumper and pulling him away, "You can get them next Hogsmeade trip, come on"
With a small whine of disappointment, Fred turned away from the shop, his hand slipping into mine. A smirk crept on to my face at his actions, reaching up to press a kiss on the bottom side of his jaw.
Seeing my face, Fred huffed, rolling his eyes fondly, "Yeah, yeah I get it. You've got me wrapped around your finger"
I giggled, looking at our entwined hands, "I can't say I'm much better"
"Sap"
"You love me really"
Fred just smiled, tightening his hold slightly on my hand.

I watched Fred fondly, eyes crinkling as he waved to the rabbit that had sat at the tree line, watching us with curiosity

"You know," I started, taking a small sip of my butterbeer, "I don't think I'm fully used to this yet"
That caught Fred's attention, his head turning to face me, "Oh?"
"I can just... do this"
I leant across the blanket, kissing him gently, a certain softness present that disappeared the second Fred lightly bit my bottom lip. Pulling away with a smile, I returned to my previous seat.
"Yeah, I see what you mean" he replied, still slightly breathless, "but I can see us getting very used to it"
I smirked, leaning back slightly as I took a longer sip of my drink, watching Fred carefully over the rim.
"So can I"