1

Jeongguk sits at a window seat in the cafe Jin owns, cradling his steaming cup of coffee and gazing contentedly out at the slowly setting sun behind pink clouds. His study notes are sprawled out on the table in front of him but he pays them no attention. He's waiting for Jimin, who is going to pretend to study with him to fulfil their cafe study fantasy that neither of them are strict enough to truly enact.

The coffee shop is tucked away on a crooked street not too far from his university, up a flight of stairs the little cafe looks over Seoul through two big windows, small lamps and the smell of coffee make it feel almost romantic. The walls are kind of scruffy with layer upon layer of faded old posters but it only adds charm to the small space.

The door opens then so Jeongguk looks towards it in hopes of it being Jimin but instead he sees one of the most beautiful people he's ever seen, a god, his longtime crush Kim Taehyung. Jeongguk doesn't actually know him, more knows of him and sees him around, sees him everywhere. Always in loose slacks and with rolls of paper or with paint in his hair and a wide boxy grin or even in a messy apron running across campus looking harassed. Always looking like Jeongguks dream come true, someone so unattainable. Today he looks flustered, pushing back his grey hair and pulling his saddle bag off hurriedly.

"Late? Am I late?" He calls out with a distinct air of someone who is in fact late.

"Two minutes," Jin replies followed by his squeaking laughter, "it's fine, calm down and put an apron on."

As he hurries past Jeongguk catches the scent of his cologne, ashamedly inhaling deeply as he does. Before turning his wide eyes to his table and shuffling his papers distractedly, attempting to look like hadn't been eaves dropping.

Jeongguk realises that this is a golden opportunity to interact with Taehyung where it wouldn't be weird, it would be... purposeful, to order more coffee.

Resolute he drains his half full coffee and springs up, taking a deep breath as he carries his empty cup to the counter.

"Hi," Taehyung greets, his eyes gleaming, or maybe they're doing normal eye things but Jeongguk swears they look like they're sparkling.

Stupidly captivated Jeongguk stumbles over his words, "er, hi, um, can I get another? Oh, an americano! Yes, um, please."

If possible Taehyungs eyes seem to light up further, "of course, I'll bring it over"

"Thanks," Jeongguk says biting his inner cheek and shuffling stiffly away.

Turning his attention to his coursework he genuinely tries to distract himself while he waits, posing his body to look what he hopes is casual and attractive, biting his lip to show his dimple.

"Here," Taehyung says placing a fresh cup of coffee in front of him with a smile, Jeongguk promptly goes to wrap his hands around it and manages to jostle half of the liquid out.
"Fuck!"

Taehyung quickly grabs a cloth where it was tucked under his apron and wipes the coffee away, "are you okay?"

"Yea, yep, fine, good!"
"Fuck," Jeongguk mumbles again as Taehyung slips back behind the counter. He can feel the heat in his cheeks and ears. Can feel the sting in his fingers from the scolding liquid.

"My bro!" Jimin says slipping into the seat opposite Jeongguk.

"Hyung when did Taehyung start working here?" Jeongguk asks quietly in lieu of greeting.

"Huh? Oh," Jimin mutters distractedly, eyes lighting up and quickly turning towards the counter. "Tae! You sexy thing!" He calls out excitedly

Deep laughter drifts out before Taehyungs grey head of hair peaks out from behind the coffee machine, "Good afternoon Jiminie, always a treat to see you."

"Can I have an iced tea?" Jimin asks, getting back up and walking to the counter, "this is my best friend Jeongguk," he adds waving towards him.

And suddenly Taehyungs wide smile is directed at him, Jeongguk hesitantly smiles back and waves.

"Nice to finally meet you Jeongguk, Jimin is always bringing you up in conversation, I hear you're a dance major too?"

"Yea, same as Jiminie," Jeongguk curses his inability to make small talk and hopes his smile translates as interested.

Taehyung follows Jimin with his iced tea in hand then leans against a nearby table. "I'm a fine art major." Jeongguk who already knew this just smiles in response.

"He's goooooood Guk, like hella good, like would plaster our dorm with all of his work and smile to see it everyday kinda good,"

Chuckling Taehyung says "I'm doing a portrait module, Jimin volunteered to be a model for me, he already looks like an artists rendition doesn't he?"

"Could be a marble statue he's so pretty," Jeongguk replies, always happy to praise his hyung. Jimin preens at the attention and grins.

"The paintings actually almost done, if you wanna see?" Taehyung says, getting his phone out of his apron pocket.

"Please!" Jimin exclaims, hurriedly getting up to peer over Taehyungs shoulder and then gasping in delight.

Jeongguk looks on curiously until Taehyung shows him the painting on his phone screen.
He's given Jimin flushed skin and a delicate hand holding the side of his face. There's a big (crayon?) red heart drawn on top, over his neck and shoulder. Jeongguk doesn't know very much about art but likes to draw and often looks up artists on pinterest to reference, Taehyungs work looks like a mix between Egon Schiele and something that must be uniquely Taehyung, something a little messy, heavy oil paints and vibrant colours contrasting against washes of pale skin tone. Jeongguk loves it immediately, actually has am Schiele poster on the back of his door and is always in awe of art that is loose but elegant, that has character.
Jeongguk finds himself not for the first time imagining taking Taehyung to a gallery, kissing his cheeks in front of the art and pretending to know the stories behind the paintings.

"Do you like it?" Taehyung asks in his deep voice.

Flushing and coming back to himself Jeongguk stutters, "it's beautiful, I love it."

"Thank you," Taehyung replies quietly with a small smile.

They talk like that for a while, Jeongguk not really participating besides smiles and nods. Jimin tells them about a not really sort of date he went on recently, about how the boy had taken them to see some phycological thriller that tripped Jimin out. Taehyung shares about how he started working for Jin and what the interview was like, Jin apparently having hired him for having gotten into a coughing fit mid interview which somehow lead to them laughing until Jin started tearing up. Telling Taehyung that most of all he needs someone who he can laugh at.

Both feeling the weight of social interaction and knowing he has a class within the hour Jeongguk starts packing his notes away, "I have class soon so I'd better leave, it was nice meeting you Taehyung! See you Jiminie."

After they say their goodbyes he heads over to pay Jin and then down the stairs out onto the streets, wondering how busy the subway will be at this time he pulls his big headphones over his ears and waves them goodbye again, turning his music up to drown out all background noise.