Chapter 26: Easy Peasy

"I'm telling you guys, she's so easy," Ryan explained to his friends, clutching a tall glass of butterbeer in his hand.

"Easy, huh?" replied Jake, a seventh-year Gryffindor, with a glint in his eye.

"You have no idea. I'm in her head. I can get away with practically anything," Ryan smirked. "You guys have got to try it."

The boys around the table erupted in approving laughter and took swigs of their drinks.

The wind chimes hanging from the door clanged loudly as Grace entered The Three Broomsticks, and she instantly warmed up from the roaring fireplace across the room. Autumn was in full swing, and she couldn't pass up getting a butterbeer with ginger on the cozy, Fall afternoon. After grabbing her drink at the counter, she spotted Ryan in the corner with some of his friends, and headed over.

"Hey, baby," Ryan said, not hesitating to pull her down onto his lap. He pressed his lips to hers and she returned the kiss only for a moment. She felt uncomfortable doing it in front of the others. "How was shopping with the Weasel?"

Grace immediately stood up, pushing herself off his lap, scoffing, "If you don't call my friend by her proper name, I'm leaving." She narrowed her eyes slightly. A few weeks ago, she would've never spoken in such a way towards Ryan, especially in front of his friends. But he was different now. He treated her much better. He hadn't laid a hand on her in quite some time.

"Fine. The Weasley girl. Whatever," responded Ryan unenthusiastically.

"Ginny and I had a wonderful time," corrected Grace. She shifted uncomfortably in her place as she stood in front of the table. She could feel too many eyes on her, but her housemate's ones in particular were the most concerning. Jake O'Connor's gaze lingered much too long on Grace, or more specifically, her body. Most of the girls in Gryffindor referred to him as 'Jerk' behind his back. The boy was a complete asshole, but that made him fit right in with the rest of his friend group.

"That's good." Ryan brought his glass to his lips, finishing the remaining butterbeer. The legs of his chair made scratches on the wooden floor as he pushed away from the table to stand up. "We should get going. Later, guys."

Ryan took Grace's hand, leading her back onto the chilly main road of Hogsmeade. They stopped walking and he tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, bringing his lips close to whisper, "You disrespected me back there, do you know that? I'm your boyfriend. You need to get that through your head. The way you talked to me in front of my friends was disgusting. That won't happen again, now, will it?"

Ryan pulled away, grabbing her hand again to continue walking down the street that was scattered with orange and red leaves. He didn't need a response from Grace. He knew she would do as she was told.

Maybe Grace was a little out of line. She simply shouldn't say such a thing in front of her boyfriend's mates. You can't humiliate him. You're his. You listen to him. You're his. You follow his rules. You're his. He's just doing what's best for you.

"What do you say we head back to the castle? I want to get out of here," Ryan said.

"It's still pretty early. I feel like we just got h-"

"Come on. We'll have some fun on our own. We don't need this place." It wasn't a suggestion. It was a command. She had quickly learned, or had been told by Ryan himself, that everything he did or said was in Grace's best interest. He had spoken those words so many times that she was starting to believe them.

They climbed into one of the many carriages that pulled themselves, and sat in silence on the way back to the castle. It wasn't until they were walking across the grounds did she speak again.