Chapter 22

When the call came from Sam that Charlie was in trouble, it was an easy choice for Emily to catch the first train to New York. For many reasons.

First and foremost, Sam and Charlie were old friends, practically more like family than her own. Sam Harrington was the younger brother of Thomas. When Thomas was alive, he, Sam and their cousin Charlie were like the Three Musketeers, all for one and one for all. The three boys adopted her like their D'Artagnan in the summers. She much preferred spending her time away from school at the Harrington house to her own in those days.

After Thomas's death, Emily had stayed close to Sam and Charlie. There had been a brief period when Sam disappeared, moving across the country. But he had recently returned to New York, bringing along his new girlfriend, Ali Stinson.

Emily instantly liked her. When Emily and Ali first met at Sam's welcome home party Mary, who was being more obnoxious than usual, had been skewered by Ali. Ever since they had become fast friends. Ali was the only person she opened up to about Finn after years of never speaking about her feelings.

The second and more cowardly reason was because of Finn. Leaving town meant she did not have to face him at the tribunal. Lance had been understanding when she dropped off the case files and even paid attention when she explained the questions he would need to ask.

Each time she closed her eyes, the sight of Finn kissing a stranger on the dance floor of the club replayed like a boomerang video on Instagram in Emily's head.

How stupid she had been, pining away for him when he had probably not given her a second thought after entering basic training. All this time she kept a vigil for a man who did not exist anymore. Emily had never truly allowed herself to admit she had been waiting for Finn to return to her, secretly hoping they would be together.

She had refused to date, avoided men who were interested in her, guarding her heart in a meaningless bid to save it for Finn. Thinking what they had together had been special. Knowing Finn was the only one for her. In her soul, she had believed their love was one in a million, true blue. They would be together again one day. They just needed to find the right time.

It was an illusion, a silly fantasy. A lie she told herself. Their time was gone. Her version of Finn was gone. Their love was gone.

She felt foolish now. Letting the romantic notions of Sophie, Kerri and even Beth convince her there was something there. Cringing at how she had donned a pretty dress, put on makeup, spent time curling her hair – all to impress a man who was past impressing. Oh, how her heart had fluttered when he asked her to stay.

Now she could see clearly. He did not want her for himself. Looking back on it, it was painfully obvious his reason was Max. The man had a bit of a crush on her. Finn was only helping his friend.

Soon she would have to come clean with her own friends. Burst their romantic bubbles as well. But Emily did not have the courage talk to them now. After Kerri's "Don't wait up for me" text at the club, Emily was glad her girlfriend was distracted. Beth was sleeping when she dropped off the files. Sophie, on the other hand, was being persistent. Demanding an update. Emily sent her calls to voicemail, typed out a few vague texts, promising details at girl's night to try to put her off the scent.

The rational side of her, the one that made Emily a good lawyer, knew the sight of Finn with another woman was a good thing. It gave her the closure she needed. The emotional side hated it. Wanted to throw things, break things, beat things, cry. Emily focused on the former.

Sitting on the patio of Sam and Ali's New York apartment sipping lemonade, Ali agreed with her. Emily had spilled the events of the last few weeks to her new friend. Ali had listened, put her arm around her and been the objective, rational support Emily needed.

"He's a fool, Emily."

Emily studied the orange-tinged afternoon light reflecting off the glass skyscrapers of the city view before her, trying not to grimace. She shook her head, "No, he's just a man who moved on." Meeting her friend's sapphire eyes, "and now I have to."

Ali nodded, her long raven locks bobbing with the motion. "What can I do to help?"

Kindness. Oh, how Emily missed it. Sam had certainly found the perfect compliment to his temperament when he asked Ali to marry him. Together they were going to be a force to be reckoned with. A force for good.

"Know any single men looking to date a washed-up spinster?"

Those blue eyes bulged. "You are not a spinster!"

"I feel like it these days."

A warm hand fell gently over Emily's. "It's time to change that." A small smile crept across her face. "You know, I saw the way Charlie looked at you the night we went dancing. Anything there?"

Giggles erupted from Emily. The thought of her and Charlie... kissing Charlie. It was ridiculous.

"It's not that silly," sulked Ali.

"I'm sorry." Emily raised her drink to her lips to give her time to settle. "Charlie is like the baby brother I never had. I adore him. And he will make the lucky woman finally capturing his heart and getting him to settle down, blissful. But it won't be me."

Getting the charges dropped against Charlie had been easy. This time. Charlie was good at living up to his notorious reputation for partying and one-night stands. The world saw him taking after his father. But Emily knew the real Charlie, the one few got to see. The one who took the blame for other people's mistakes. As she had waited for him to be released, she sat in the precinct lobby and wondered who he was protecting this time.

"Okay, Okay," Ali held her hands up. "Not Charlie. Hmmm, how do you feel about redheads?"

As Sam and Charlie joined them for dinner, Emily pondered making a move. New York had never appealed to her in the past as a permanent home. She loved to visit but found the city too fast, too crowded, too impersonal. Yet, perhaps it was what she needed now.  A fresh start and a little help from her friends.

After an evening filled with good company and lively conversation, Emily felt refreshed as she pushed through the revolving door of the building housing the New York offices of Simpson, Simpson and Waters. Unlike the low-rise structure in Washington, the firm took up the 35th to 38th floor of this towering monument to business. Open-layout and light grey were the tenants of this site, giving it a feel of energy and urgency.

Her office was only a cubicle but it butted against a floor to ceiling window, perfect for daydreaming about possibilities in the morning mist. Emily tried not to let her mind wander to what was going on at a military base miles away. Still, she felt relieved when she received a text from Lance saying "all went well" followed by a winking emoji.

It was over. Finn had given his testimony and was out of her life. Forcing herself to breathe slowly, she waited for the pain stabbing at her to pass.

"Are you alright?"

Emily turned towards the source of the deep voice with a slight British accent. Looking up, she met caramel coloured eyes full of concern. A sense of calm washed over her.

"Yes. Thank you."

"You had me worried."

Emily believed him. There was something about the tall, dark and handsome man before her that rang of confidence, making her want to trust him.

"Are you Emily Montgomery?"

Emily nodded, unsure if she was still daydreaming or not.

A wide grin broke out across his face, revealing the cutest dimple Emily had ever seen. "Great. I'm Griffin Truman." A large hand presented itself to her, "Mr. Waters asked me to find you. Said you'd show me the ropes."

Emily took the offering, enveloping her hand in the warmth of his. "You must be the new recruit."