𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟖𝟗

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Darth Vader visibly recoiled at the sound of his former name, and he snarled, "Anakin Skywalker is dead. He was weak. I defeated him."

Astrid heard footsteps behind her, and she dared a quick glance over her shoulder to find eight stormtroopers, all with their blaster guns raised at her as they moved to surround her. From behind Darth Vader, came six more stormtroopers.

Astrid was utterly surrounded, and she couldn't help the rush of fear that coursed through her. This could go so very wrong so quickly. She was gambling with her life now.

Astrid's gaze returned to Darth Vader's helmeted face, and she took a daring step closer as she spoke in a low, hushed voice, "Can't you see the truth? Are you too blinded by pain and hatred to see that what you've been searching for is right in front of you?"

"And what am I searching for?" he asked, unyielding.

"Astrid Katarn," she replied, and he flinched at her name. Astrid took another daring step closer as she continued, "Your friend, your wife, Astrid. Me." Another step. "I'm right here. Alive."

She didn't sense surprise from Darth Vader at her words, as if he had known her true identity all along, but hadn't allowed himself to actually believe it. Instead, she felt conflict coil within him like a hissing snake. 

She reached a hand up towards Vader's helmet, wanting to take it off so she could truly gaze upon his face. But before she could do anything, a man in a grey uniform-- Grand Admiral Tarkin-- broke through the line of stormtroopers behind Vader, and, as if sensing his presence, Darth Vader drew abruptly away from Astrid.

"Well, hello, Ayla. Or should I say... Astrid Katarn," Admiral Tarkin greeted in a cool tone as he stopped just in front of Darth Vader. He clasped his hands behind his back as his cold, grey eyes swept her figure with distain. "A pleasure," he drawled, but his voice conveyed the opposite.

Tarkin glanced at Darth Vader just briefly before he ordered, "Lord Vader, you will escort Astrid Katarn to Emperor Palpatine's throne room with me. The Emperor wishes to meet the Jedi."

Astrid lifted her chin and tried her best to look down her nose at Tarkin as she lifted her ignited lightsaber and growled, "I'm not going anywhere with you."

"It is fruitless to resist," Darth Vader spoke, and she thought she beheld a hint of pleading in his voice. "You are surrounded."

Astrid's angered gaze didn't leave Tarkin's smug face. In response, Tarkin simply raised an arrogant brow and remarked, "Now, be a good girl and come with us, or we will simply force you. It's up to you, Ms Katarn."

Mrs. Astrid Katarn Skywalker, she wanted to correct.

Sensing there was no escape and that she would have to simply play along for the time being, Astrid lowered her lightsaber and deactivated it. The next instant, she felt her weapon fly from her grasp on a phantom wind-- the Force-- and into Vader's hand. Darth Vader clipped her lightsaber onto his belt before moving behind her and giving her backside a nudge in silent command to start walking.

Astrid gave Tarkin a dirty look before she began walking forward. The stormtroopers' footsteps sounded on the marble floor as they followed behind her and in front of her. She kept her eyes forward on the backsides of the six stormtroopers in front of her, refusing to acknowledge Tarkin's presence to her left. But most importantly, she tried to ignore Darth Vader's overwhelming presence behind her as she was directed towards the Imperial throne room located in the central spire near the top of the former Jedi Temple.