1. Together

"I think I'm gonna throw up," you mumble, your hands gripping the edge of Hotch's desk

He shoots up from his desk, grabbing the small plastic trash can on the floor and briskly walking around to you just in time for you to empty the contents of your stomach into it. You hold your hair back, gagging as tears sting your eyes. After a moment, you inhale, trying to steady your racing heart as you wipe your mouth. You shakily sit back down in the seat across from Hotch's desk, gripping the arms of the chair.

Hotch sets the trash can next to you before going back around to his desk, pulling out a pack of gum and sliding you a piece. You take it gratefully, sticking the minty gum in your mouth. Your mind is going a million miles a minute, eyes glued to the sketch in front of you of your father.

"Hotch...how...I don't..." You trail off, unable to form a complete sentence.

Your dad is alive.

And he's a serial killer.

"I'll explain everything soon. We...the Bureau assigned us this case because of you. You know your father better than anyone—"

"Do I?" You ask defensively, glaring at the piece of paper in front of you. "Because it looks like I don't even know him at all."

Hotch sighs. "I understand this is hard for you," he says softly. "Go home. Talk to Spencer. We're going to be meeting in the roundtable room in an hour to talk about the case."

You shakily stand, biting the inside of your cheek. "And...you're sure? You're positive this is my father?"

Hotch stands with you. "Yes. We are."

You inhale deeply, closing your eyes as you try to steady yourself. "Okay, then."

You turn on your heels, ignoring the calls from your coworkers and friends as you cross the bullpen. You push the doors open so hard it's a wonder you didn't fucking crack the glass. You spit the gum into the trash can by the front door of the Bureau. After climbing into your car, you turn it on, gripping the steering wheel tightly. You pull out you phone and hold it up to your ear.

"Hey, bitch," Jamie's voice rings from the other line.

"Jamie," you say shakily, biting your bottom lip. "Can you watch the kids for Spencer and I tonight? Something came up at work."

"Are you okay?" She asks, noticing the way your voice wavers. "I can be there in fifteen."

"I'll explain later, okay? Thank you. I love you."

You hang up and pull out of the parking lot, speeding home, zoned out the entire time. It's a wonder you made it to you and Spencer's little house without fucking crashing into anything. You park the car and slam the door shut before unlocking the door and walking inside.

Wordlessly, you walk into the living room, Joseph bouncing off the couch and walking over to you.

"Mama!" He shouts, wrapping his arms around your calves.