Chapter 11

The company weaved in between trees and rocks as they ran from the wargs. The sunset turned to the dark night as the wargs got closer. One of them jumped over a rock and landed right in front of Bilbo. It snarled and showed its long teeth, then charged. Bilbo took out his sword and stabbed it in the head as it ran at him. The company slashed down any warg that attacked them as they ran, but soon they were met with the edge of a cliff.

"Up into the trees! All of you! Come on, climb!" Gandalf yelled.

(Y/n) tried climbing into a tree, but she was too short to reach the first branch. She felt hands on her waist, lifting her up higher, and she grabbed the branch and pulled herself up. When she looked down, she saw Kili jumping up to grab the branch. (Y/n) looked around and saw Bilbo still trying to take his sword out of the wargs skull.

"BILBO!" she cried out. He finally yanked it out and began climbing one of the trees.

The wargs surrounded the trees and began circling them. They stopped and looked to a single warg that was carrying an orc on its back. It stepped up onto a rock for all to see him. The orc was pale and had red scars covering his body. He carried a mace in one hand, and his other had a prosthetic that jutted out from his elbow. (Y/n) saw Thorin look at the orc in shock.

Azog

Azog the Defiler sat up on his warg and smiled menacingly. He sniffed the air, and began speaking in a language that (Y/n) could not understand, Black Speech, but she caught the orc saying Thorins name.

"It cannot be" Thorin whispered.

Azog pointed his mace at Thorin and spoke, then let out a yell. The wargs immediately began to jump up the trees, scratching and biting at the trunks and branches. (Y/n) let out a shriek as the tree began to shake and tilt. The company was forced to jump on another tree, but the domino effect caused that tree to fall as well. They kept jumping until the group was confined to a single tree on the very edge of the cliff.

(Y/n) looked up to Gandalf and saw him take a pinecone and blow from his walking stick. Small embers began to appear until the pinecone was aflame. He threw it at the wargs down below, and the brush around it caught on fire. Gandalf made more flaming pinecones and dropped them to the others. (Y/n) grabbed a pinecone, and Kili brought his to hers to make it catch the flames. They all began throwing their pinecones at the wargs. They whimpered and howled at the heat, some even catching on fire. The dwarves began cheering, but then the tree they were hanging on to began to tilt.

Soon, it was on its side, barely hanging on to the cliff. Ori fell from his branch and grabbed onto Doris boot, who then fell. Gandalf quickly reached his staff out and Dori grabbed onto the end, holding on for his and Ori's life.

(Y/n) was hanging on to a weak branch, and almost fell, but quickly grabbed onto another one.

"(Y/n)!"Kili yelled when he thought she was going to fall, but relaxed as much as he could when she jumped to another branch. She looked into his brown orbs, the fear etched onto her face. He spoke to her.

"(Y/n)... if we dont make it out-"

"No, dont talk like that. Were going to make it out of here, somehow!"she interrupted.

"Listen to me! If we dont, I need to tell you... I-"

Kili was cut off when he saw the shadow of his uncle standing on the tree trunk. (Y/n) looked and saw Thorin walking off the tree, his sword ready to attack, his oaken-shield on his arm. Once back on the cliff, Thorin began to run at Azog.

The entire company looked on as Thorin raised his weapon and shield, ready to attack. Azog roared and his warg leaped from the rock, knocking Thorin to the ground. He got back up to face his enemy, but the orc charged at him and brought his mace down on Thorin.