CHAPTER XII

While I was scheming for the masses

SAPPHIRE

I stared at her in surprise. A moment ago there was no one in the temple besides me and now, a girl was standing below the torches. Like she appeared out of thin air. What the fuck?!

"Language, dear." she said. Apparently, I had said the last part aloud.

The girl was not more than 10. But what surprised me about her appearance (except for the fact she had popped out of thin air.) was that she was me... she looked exactly like I used to when I was 10. She had the same blue eyes. Even her black hair was ear length like I used to sport. I stared at her open mouthed. Not being able to speak anything with my brain on freeze mode.

"Come on! You came here to see me, didn't you? It's very rare for me to show myself in person. You should feel lucky." she chided.

"Who?" I managed to speak at last.

"Trivia, of course. I go by many names though." she said.

My jaw was almost touching the floor by now. This had to be a joke... the goddess herself, seeking me out? And she was supposed to have three heads, maybe I was dreaming. But whoever this was, why did she look like my younger self?

"Oh no... don't remind me of the heads. I don't why they even thought I looked like that. Honestly, that's primitive." Her form momentarily flickered to an eight feet tall lady, wearing a traditional Greek-Roman tunic, with three heads, and two torches in her hands. Then she was back in the teenager-me format. "As for why I look like you... I exist in the best side of one's personality. That is the source of my power. The purest form of the soul of my subjects. This was the time when you showed most wisdom... when you were the bravest and took care of yourself and your brother. I would have appeared as you are now... except for what plan you have been brewing these days." she said as if reading my mind.

The truth hit me. This really was Trivia. I didn't know why she was here, but I did what people when they have godly encounters.

"My goddess, I am so honoured." I said getting down on my knee, bowing to her.

"Whatever. I don't have much time so you better hurry up." she rolled her eyes.

"I am sorry, my lady, but I don't quiet understand you." I said.

"Your plan, of course. You are trying to get out of here, yes?" disapproval was etched upon her face.

"My lady, I have no choice, I have to get back-" She raised her hand to stop me, effectively cutting me off.

"First of all, there is always a choice. And second, this is your cross-roads. It's you who will decide what to do. No other opinion matters." she said.

I just bowed my head in submission, not saying anything.

"I already know what you are planning but I wanna hear it all from you. Reading minds doesn't always make all things clear." said Trivia.

"I-I thought maybe if the magic inside me wells up too much, maybe it could break the suppression charm... and I could fight my way out." I gave her the summary.

"And why did it involve winning over their trust?" she raised an eyebrow.

"They wouldn't have let me out of that dingy room if I hadn't. And I could increase my power only by meditating in your temple." I answered.

"Where did you get this idea from. The boy did a good work suppressing you... such a charm has never been broken."

"The magic is inside me. Whatever anyone does on me, it won't make the magic inside me vanish. The more powerful a person, the less susceptible they are to suppressions. If I build my power to the level this suppression isn't enough... maybe I could break the charm." I said.

"You are not getting to the real parts." she said. Her face held a stern expression.

I bowed my head again, remaining silent. I disgusted myself for this part. It was too difficult to mouth it aloud.

"Tell. Me." her voice had a dangerous edge to it.

I gulped.

"The mate bond. It links souls, meaning it links energies; powers. If I had the slightest of mate-worthy contact with him, it would link our energies. My power would be outsourced. I would just have to do another round of prayer to call upon my power and break the suppression." I blurted out against my will, meaning the goddess was controlling me.

"And how did you figure out about the energies?"

"When wolves mate with humans... the humans develop certain new abilities. A strong sense of smell, or hearing, sometimes a bit of strength too. Maybe it could happen with wolves and witches too, in this case, it would be both-sided." again, the goddess made me speak.

I slumped down against the floor. Saying that had really drained me. And the way Trivia was looking at me it seemed I was going to end up in a pile of ashes any second.

"Outsiders, humans," she said, "think of me, of your kind as cruel and violent. Maybe, they are not wrong... some of us are cruel, are cunning, and would do anything to get their cause, even if it means people will be hurt; destroyed in the process."

"But-" a choking sensation built up in my throat stopping me from saying anymore. I knew it was the goddess' doing.

"As I said before... this is your crossroads. But mark my words Sapphire Rosewood, all choices have consequences. All roads lead to a destination." with that she snapped her fingers and disappeared with a purple flash of light.

I slumped even lower. Almost lying on the dusty floor. My body was glistening with sweat. I felt like I had run for a thousand miles. Each muscle of my body felt like it had been roasted upon a slow flame. While my brain was being boiled with guilt. I lay there for how much time I don't know. But whatever I did after this, I was going to pay for it.

It seemed like hours had passed when I stepped out.

Rosa perked up at the sight of me.

"Whom were you talking to in there?" she asked.

"J-just... chanting." I said.

"Are you okay?" she asked stepping near me.

"I'm fine. Feeling that presence after so much time drained me a bit, I guess." I put on a small smile.

She still looked a bit worried but finally agreed to get back.

The sun was already setting by the time we reached level ground.

****

A/N

Wassup folks?

How was this chapter?

Now you know what Sapphire's plan is if you hadn't guessed it already.

I have also attached a picture of Trivia/young Sapphire before the chapter.

Please vote if you liked the chapter.

You can also show your support in comments, it motivates me to keep writing.

Also if you feel this chapter could have been better from certain points comment or PM me. I really love constructive criticism. It helps me present an even better piece of writing to you guys.

Lots of love

~Cassandra...