Chapter Nineteen: Lifetime

"I'm going to the library," I told them, finality in my tone. I made it obvious that I wasn't making any room for arguments.

Sasha looked like she was about to faint, but Mia just shrugged in response. Maybe because she saw how exasperated I was with Sasha's antics the whole day, she just agreed to what I said. She was even the reason how I managed to meet Leon during lunch.

When I told them that I didn't want to eat lunch in the cafeteria, also including a mention of how I wanted to be alone for a while, Mia stopped whatever protests that were about to come from Sasha. And then, everything built up to the scene that happened during math class where Mia full on scolded her.

After that, I finally had peace.

Of course, the mere mention of me not going to watch the soccer team practice sent a wave of horror towards Sasha.

It multiplied when Mia actually backed me up, "That's a nice idea, I need to get some studying down since we have a test coming up."

"B-but," Sasha stammered, but Mia quickly shot her a sharp glare to shut her up.

It was rare for Leon to actively ask me for something so when he told me not to watch their training, even though I didn't know the full reason yet, I agreed. He wasn't the type of guy who just says those things out of the blue just for the sake of it, so might as well go along with it. I'm sure he would give me an explanation soon.

"Sash, if you really want to watch them, then we're not forcing you to study with us in the library," I said to her because I was starting to feel bad. Especially since Mia was already the strict one, I might as well be the more relaxed one, "We'll just meet up when we're done."

Even though the only reason Mia was like this today was because of me.

It looked like a thousand thoughts rushed in her head, all the different options were running through her mind until her shoulders slumped in defeat, "I'll study with you guys."

"I'll treat you to iced coffee later, how about that?" I threw in, trying to make her feel better. She grunted in response, causing both Mia and I to share a laugh at her expense.

Now I wonder how I was going to break the news to them that it was Leon that will be the one to take us home, instead of Pat.

Sasha has been pushing me all day and I know it was because she wanted me with Pat. Though I was starting to get uncomfortable, I knew she had good intentions and that her heart was in the right place. Pat was a nice guy, he truly was, and that was the reason why it was so easy to fall in love with him.

However, I saw my future. I lived through the heartbreak and even though we liked each other, a happy ending wasn't meant for us.

But I still wanted him around as a friend, because Pat was one of the sweetest people you would ever meet and perhaps, if I went back in time without my memories, I would have jumped into his arms by now.

But my memories stayed and maybe it was for the better. While a relationship with Pat was no longer on the table, a friendship with Leon was far more than I could have ever hoped for.

Avery Barber: Hey we're at the library, just text when you're done with practice.

Leon Colten: Alright, but I'll go to you.

My eyes switched to my two best friends, watching as Sasha continuously scratched her head while Mia attempted to explain to her a math problem for the second time already. Arguments were something that was completely common with us. Sasha was preppy, full of energy, and the one who didn't hold back. Mia was calm, rational, and the mature one that we usually allow to become the decision-maker of the group.