𝟮𝟮. the ultimatum

CHANGE | CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

    𝐂loud stood by the windows inside the airship

    𝐂loud stood by the windows inside the airship. She didn't know how long she had been standing there but it was long since they were almost near the docking area in Zaofu. Her chest tightened in fear. She couldn't stop thinking about her father, her cousins, her family. She thought about her grandfather Aang. He was just a child when the Air Nomads were wiped out by the Fire Nation.

    She didn't want to experience the same thing.

    "Grandpa Aang," Cloud whispered, her lips quivering as she felt the warm breeze blow against her face. "What would you do?"

    "Hey." Mako suddenly appeared beside her, glancing at her face as his own contorted into a small frown. He knew how much it was affecting her since she was an airbender herself. He was frustrated, so angry at Zaheer. Who was he to threaten the airbenders? What the heck was wrong with him? They didn't deserve this. Cloud didn't deserve this.

    "Hey to you too, fireboy." Cloud mustered a small smile on her face, despite the tugging feeling in her heart.

    Mako looked at the windows, following her gaze at the shiny metal lotuses as the airship descended on the docking area. "They'll be fine. We won't let him get close to your family."

    "Yeah." Her voice cracked a little, which made his breath catch. He was never good at emotions, but his actions told him otherwise. His hand inched closer to hers, and the last thing he knew, he was holding her trembling hands. Cloud smiled faintly. "Thanks, Mako."

    When she looked at him with those soft blue eyes that almost looked like the sky itself, Mako almost wanted to kiss her. Her freckled face looked divine. He didn't know how but she seemed to shine whenever even without the light. At this point, it made him realize how much he cherished her, and how he would do anything for her in a heartbeat.

    It took a long time before the radio got through the Northern Air Temple. And when she barged inside the radio room, she found Lord Zuko and her friends with Bolin using the radio, talking to whoever it was on the other line.

   "I told you, it's Bolin! No! I'm not looking for Bolin, I am Bolin! Gah, look, I need you to find your dad." At first, he sounded irritated, but then his tone changed into a curious one for some reason. She could hear Meelo's voice on the radio but it was still indistinctive since she wasn't the one using it. "No, a whole herd? Really?"

   Cloud sighed loudly and stomped forward, pushing past Mako and Korra, and then pushed Bolin aside as she snatched the radio from him. "Meelo, this is your captain speaking. Go get your dad, now!" She ordered, becoming a little impatient but her cousin followed her words since she used her 'captain' voice.