Chapter 9

True to her word, Andra was ready in a half-hour after quickly changing and applying a small amount of makeup. There was no longer any sign of the dark circles he had seen under her eyes earlier.

Sitting down in front of her open laptop he watched as she began to type. Within moments the lock screen had disappeared and she was swiping through the desktop until she found what she was hunting for.

The screen went momentarily dark and when it blinked back to life he could see that she had turned the camera on and was now staring at her own reflection. Cameron looked to make sure he was well out of frame as she fussed with her hair a moment longer and then apparently satisfied began to record. 

"Hey, guys! It's me." She said smiling cheerily into the camera. "I know I've been MIA for a few days and I just wanted to drop in really quickly and let you all know why. As it turns out, I have stumbled onto a real-life paranormal mystery and I'm following a few leads on it. As soon as I know what's happening I will drop another video to let everyone here know the situation. If this turns out to be what I believe it is there could be a story here. In the meantime, I'll continue to investigate, and just know that I should have a really interesting surprise for you guys in a few days. Until then, stay safe and God bless."

She uploaded the video and shutting her laptop turned to Cameron. "All set." She said, smiling up at him.

"Alright then. Let's get on the road."

He followed her out of the room as she headed for the stairs.

As they stepped down into the main hallway, Andra headed directly for the kitchen. Cameron followed behind and as the door swung open his nose was filled with the warm smell of cinnamon and apples. Denise stood with her back to them as they entered. She was elbow-deep in the white frothy suds that filled her kitchen sink. As the door swung shut behind them she turned with a smile and began drying her hands on a nearby dish towel. "Well hello, you two. Done so soon?"

"Sort of," Andra answered. "Cameron and I are going out for a bit if that's ok?" 

"Yeah, I guess that's alright," Denise replied, laying the towel down by the sink and washing her hands. "Will you two be back in time for dinner?"

Andra glanced back at Cameron. "If dinner is what I smell," he said, "then I will personally make sure we're back in time."

Denise laughed and waved a hand at him. "That smell is dessert. We're having chicken and dressing for supper and it should be ready around six. Where are you two headed anyway?"

"I've stumbled onto an interesting ghost story I want to post," Andra said immediately. "Cameron has a friend whose grandad can tell us a little more about it so we're going out to talk to him."

Denise shivered. "I'll never understand your interest in all things morbid. I guess you can go though. Just make sure you check-in and, Cameron, if you would please leave me your cell number just in case something comes up."

"Mom!" Andra groaned. "I have my phone with me."

"Of course you do," Denise replied. "But humor me, you never know when something might happen and I'd like to be able to get in touch with you."

Andra rolled her eyes but relented as Cameron rattled off his number. Denise saved it into her contacts before slipping her cell into the back pocket of her jeans.

"Alright, you guys have a good time, and remember, dinner will be on the table at 6."

"We will. Love you, mom." Andra said, grabbing Cameron's hand and dragging him toward the door.

He had just enough time to wave a quick goodbye before he was pulled into the hallway.

"What's the hurry?" Cameron asked, laughing as she practically bounced down the front steps of the house.