Chapter 22

Ava's POV

I was a nervous wreck with all those curious eyes staring at me, waiting for my response. I knew that Jayden did this on purpose, if that amused smile was anything to go by. He was enjoying this way too much and I think that he thought that I wouldn't know what to say, but I was about to prove him and all the rest of them wrong.

"I suggest that you have an emergency bunker in place to evacuate everyone who won't be able to defend themselves" I said with a proud smile.

"And what makes you think that we don't already have an 'emergency bunker'?" Jayden smirked.

Right.

Of course he's already thought of everything. You don't stay on the top by not staying ahead. It was like he was always two steps ahead of his enemies and that was one of the reasons why he was the most powerful alpha.

With a defeated sigh, I walked back over to the couch and sat. I was a bit embarrassed that I spoke up. It was clear that they didn't need my help. They have been fighting these battles for a really long time and I only had basic training on how to defend myself, which I was still unable to do.

How could I have possibly thought that I could protect everyone? I have heard time and time again that I was the end to all the wars and suffering, but all I have accomplished was bringing more suffering into this world.

My chest tightened to the point where it felt almost impossible to breathe. I knew this feeling all too well. I was about to have a panic attack and break down in front of all these people. I didn't want anyone to see that I was weak, so I slipped out the room unnoticed, gripping my chest.

Once outside, I clawed at my throat to get air into my lungs, but that didn't help. I was now hyperventilating and I needed to find somewhere where I could ride out this phase until I felt better. I slipped inside the closest room I found and slammed the door shut.

I collapsed on the floor and broke down crying. I cried for so long, until all my energy was drained. I didn't even bother to get up off the cold floor, but instead I got comfortable and closed my eyes.

I felt like I was floating. Why was I floating? I slowly opened my eyes and realized that I was in the arms of Jayden.

"I can walk you know" I said with a tired yawn.

"Go back to sleep" he chuckled, still carrying me in his arms. I did listen to him and closed my eyes for some much needed sleep.

...

"Noooooooooooo" I cried out.

I shot up in bed with my body covered in sweat. That nightmare felt so real that for a second I felt like I was reliving what happened on my darkest day.

Ever since I wiped out my old pack, I have been having nightmares, reliving that dreadful day. This time it was different though, before I could destroy everything, I woke up. I didn't understand why I didn't get to see everything unfold as I usually did, but then I realized why.

A hand squeezed mine in a way to comfort me and let me know that I wasn't alone. It was a small gesture, but it meant so much to me. Just that small action was enough for me to feel not as alone as I used to feel when I was on the run.

I burst into tears from all the emotions overflowing in my body. These were not sad tears, these were happy tears. I was so thankful to have him in my life that he had no idea just how much his presence alone meant to me.

He quickly pulled me onto his lap and wrapped his arms around me, whispering comforting words in my ear and leaving a kiss behind my ear every now and then.