51

The next few days after my little 'meeting' with Queen Amelia were torture

The next few days after my little 'meeting' with Queen Amelia were torture. I kept on thinking about the words she'd said. Why was she being so weird and cryptic? Could she know about my endeavors in the Royal Wing?

Plus, the fact that the competition was coming to an end did not make matters any easier. I'd hardly gotten any chance to speak with Carlos- or Amancio. But, as The Choosing Ceremony drew near, I reminded myself not to get my hopes up as I knew the winner wasn't chosen solely on Carlos' feelings. It was also a power strategy and unfortunately, my father didn't happen to be a Count or a Marquess. He was just a normal Viscount, just one rank above a Baron- the least important noble. 

I was also dreading The Masquerade Ball, the last ball and major event in the competition. Just thinking about it made huge knots of dread and anxiety appear where my intestines were meant to be. But, I couldn't help but feel a tad bit excited for the ball. I, for one, hated balls as I was hopeless at socializing and dancing and only cared about the food- which wasn't much either way. 

I'd never been to a masquerade ball and had only read about it in romance novels stolen from my Finishing School's library. Thinking of it then, I realized there wasn't much in the library other than romance novels- which I wasn't too keen on. 

Masquerade Balls had some sort of mystery to them, some sort of allure that set a spark in my heart. I knew not to get too excited for my dress and masque seeing as my family members were a bunch of cheapskates but no matter what I wore, just the thought of seeing everyone in masks- not having to hide my facial expressions. I found myself strangely...anticipating the ball. 

Though, I couldn't shake of the knowing feeling that something bad was going to happen. 

*** 

"I want you to be my choice, Madeline," Carlos smiled, his green eyes sparkling. "I want to eventually fall in love with you, grow old with you, rule Aridia with you, have kids with-" 

"Hey, we never said anything about having kids," I cringed. The thought of mini Madeline's and Carlos's running around the palace didn't sit right with me. 

"We can't not have an heir, Madeline." 

"Fine," I sighed. "I'll come around eventually. Say we don't have kids, why can't Barbara just take over when you kick the bucket?" 

"Planning my death so early?" Carlos raised an eyebrow, playfully. 

"Maybe," I shrugged, smiling smugly. 

"Besides, I doubt Barbara has any intentions of ruling Aridia. She keeps saying she wants to run away to Milan to become a fashion designer," Carlos shook his head. 

"That is the dream," I sighed, wistfully. 

"Lady Madeline, Lady Madeline- wake up!" Carlos snapped.