Chapter 13

Kim, Nancy, Jonathan, and Joyce Byers rushed out of the Byers house as Hopper pulled into the driveway

Kim, Nancy, Jonathan, and Joyce Byers rushed out of the Byers house as Hopper pulled into the driveway. The group of middle schoolers climber out of his back seat, all of them looking worse for wear.

Kim rushed up to Dustin and pulled him into her arms. "My god, I was so worried about you! Next time you do something crazy or you have to run from the government you tell me, okay?"

"I'm sorry," Dutin muttered, squeezing his sister tightly. "There just wasn't a lot of time to make a phone call."

She nodded, letting go of him and hugging Eleven. "I'm glad you're okay, El."

Nancy looked over Mike's shoulder at El. "Is that my dress?" she asked.

•••••

"Okay, so, in this example, we're the acrobat," Mike tried to explain to the group. "Will and Barbara, and that monster, they're this flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will's hiding. Mr. Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space."

"A gate," Dustin said from between Mike and Lucas.

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab," Lucas added.

"With our compasses," Dustin continued.

Kim tried not to let her jaw drop at how impressive her brother and his friends were. She could barely understand her Chem homework let alone another dimension.

Noticing how confused his sister and everyone else looked, Dustin elaborated. "Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field, and that can change the directions of a compass."

"He really got the brain gene," Kim muttered to herself. "And what did I get? Literally nothing. Just a good taste in music and a knack for getting myself in trouble."

"Is this gate underground?" Hopper asked the young boys.

"Yes," Eleven replied, feeling uncomfortable as everyone's eyes fell on her.

"Near a large water tank?" Hopper questioned, now talking to Eleven.

El nodded again. "Yes."

"H-How do you know all that?" Dustin stuttered.

"He's seen it," Mike realized.

"Is there any way that you could reach Will?" Joyce asked El. "That you could talk to him in this-"

"The Upside Down," El supplied, nodding in response to her question.

"And Kim and my friend Barbara?" Nancy asked. "Can you find her, too?"

•••••

They all sat around the Byers' kitchen table, radio static filling the silence as Eleven tried to find Will and Barb. The light above the table flickered, making the room even more tense.