Chapter Two: Take A Shot.

Chapter Two: "Take A Shot."

THE FIRST THING I heard at 8 AM on Saturday morning was yelling outside of my door.

"Good fucking morning to me," I mumbled. My eyes stayed closed as loud pop music made its way into my room from the living room. To add to the chaos,  sirens blasted from where my phone lay on the nightstand of my room.

I could see it already. My friends and their friends from out of town all crowded around a table laughing at this ungodly hour.

Happy Homecoming.

If it were winter and a snowstorm was occurring, the entire school would still party from morning till night if they had the chance. No one could blame them.

On a day like today, everyone forgot about everything.

All the stress, any pressure on your shoulders was released and it was bliss in those moments as you get lost in the music, in the pace of the day and the night. Those were the type of days I loved. And those were the days I never took for granted.

As I walked into the kitchen after brushing my teeth, people were crowded around the kitchen table, ready to engage in the drinking game of flip cup.

"Holy shit," I said, watching as Mariam downed whatever the hell was in her red cup and familiar and unfamiliar faces cheered.

Clayton, my old floormate from first year, looked at me in confusion. He was near my height of 5'7 with fair skin with blonde hair that was wavy and tucked behind the baseball cap he was wearing. "You're not drinking? What happened? You sick?"

"I have an exam tonight. What's with all the questions?" I groaned, taking a seat at the dining table next to him.

"Someone's not a morning person."

"Who the hell is a morning person?" I grumbled. "Oh, wait, it's the freaks who got up and decided that 8 am drinking was the best thing in the entire world."

"We wanted an early start this year. C'mon."

Clayton slung an arm around my shoulder.  Anyone else would've thought this was a sweet gesture but I knew him well enough ever since we bonded over our love of EDM music on the floor of our residence over a year ago.

He shook me hard, making me yelp and jerk upright from his body. "Wake up."

"That didn't help!" I snapped.

"You look awake now."

"I'm mad."

"You look mad and awake now." He grinned.

Another set of arms encircled my body, rocking me back and forth in a comfort. Yasmeen released her hold on me as the music in our house only got louder from the speaker on the table. "We didn't wake you, did we?" She asked before turning to the boys playing flip cup. "Guys, lower the volume of the music, please?"

Although her voice was soft, they heard her and the music from the speaker decreased in volume. "Did we?" She repeated to me, eyebrows raised.

Yasmeen wore dark blue mom jeans on top of a black sweatshirt that outlined Herringway in purple letters. To match the outfit, she wore her purple hijab- the same purple colour of HU. I smiled at her school pride, reminding myself to go change out of my sweats soon.

"No, I was going to wake up at this time anyway." My tiredness suddenly overcame me once again even though I had slept early last night. As I rubbed my eyes and yawned, Clayton, the idiot, took my gesture as a sign to shake me again. I swatted his hands off of me. "I'm awake! Stop that!"