𝟎𝟏

THE STORE was empty, much to Mina's luck. It was never really busy but there was always one or two people stopping by and heading straight for the freezer.

That's the thing about people who use drugs. They're always returning customers.

Mina walked in, grabbing a Snapple and perusing the chips aisle.

Fez glanced at her, and chuckled under his breath at the sight of her strawberry printed sweater. He knew who she was, of course, and that she wasn't the kind that went back into the freezer.

Mina decided on a bag and walked up to the counter.

"Hi," she greeted, handing Fez her items.

"Hey," he responded in his usual monotone way and rang her up. "That'll be $5.33."

She froze for a second, thinking how she'd ask him for a favor when he didn't even know her like that. This was the usual way they interacted and never strayed.

"Uh, yeah." She pulled the bills out of her crossbody bag and handed them to Fez.

Mina gulped while he retrieved her change.

"$4.67," he handed it back to her.

"Thanks," she murmured as she shoved the change in her pocket. "I was actually wondering—"

She trailed off when they locked direct eye contact, her brown with his deep blue, and he stopped her before she could continue.

"I'm sorry but I ain't sellin you nothin else."

"Oh," Mina's face fell.

Fez felt bad but explained, "If your brother knew you got anything from me he'd be pissed."

"No I don't want any of, uh– that."

He seemed taken by surprise.

"I was wondering if I could get tatted."

"Ain't you eighteen?"

"Yeah but I need it to be lowkey."

Fezco searched her eyes for something, an explanation, and all he could guess was that she didn't want anyone to know.

"It's nothin personal," he assured.

"Please," she pleaded quietly. Fez was her only hope at being able to do this confidentially.

He didn't think of himself as a pushover, but here she was with her sweet demeanor and bell-like voice that he found himself struggling to say no.

"Ashtray does all the tats. You wanna ask him instead?"

"Yeah, sure," Mina agreed. Fez walked over to the freezer and knocked.

"Yo Ash!"

Mina looked at Fezco, like really looked at him, for the first time. She liked his striped shirt and the way he moved, like he didn't really care about much.

Ashtray came out of freezer and looked at the unlikely pair. "Wassup?"

"She wanna ask you bout a tat."

"Mina Jacobs?" he laughed. "Fuck no. If Nate finds out I'm fucking dead. You gotta do it Fez."

"Shit," he whispered to himself, rubbing his temple.

"It's okay. You don't have to do it. Thanks anyway." She smiled at them kindly and walked back out to her Audi with the bag of snacks in hand.

"You really think Nate would trip over a tattoo?" Ashtray questioned.

"Ion know but it's best that we keep it cool for now."

Ash shrugged and went back into the freezer.

Fez watched as her snow white car pulled out into the street, still hearing her voice clear in his head. It reminded him of how he liked to listen to that song from Avatar when he was high.

If that melody was a person, it would be her.