• TWO •

2016

2016

Swinging her legs underneath the glass table, she tried her best to look attentive. Secretary Ross was lecturing them about how the Avengers were "a threat" and "something that needed to be controlled". She knew that she was a threat and something that needed to be controlled, but so was Wanda, and Natasha, and Vision if you paid enough attention. And she'd only been arrested like twice.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass. I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. But while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some, who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." Secretary Ross explained.
"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Cassandra spoke.
"How about 'dangerous'?" Cassamdra raised a brow at his remark. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Secretary Ross clicked on a screen, and the battle of New York played before their eyes.

"New York."

She felt a hand squeeze around her's, and glanced behind her at Natasha. Breathing slowly in and out, she fought the panic and anxiety clogging her throat.

"Washington DC." Ross said as if it wasn't obvious.

He changed the screen to a view of a helicarrier crashing into the Potomac. Water engulfed the citizens, and the camera blacked out. Natasha looked down, and Cassandra gave her an sympathetic squeeze.

"Sokovia."

Children ran, the city rose, a building fell over. She looked across to see Wanda, and she saw tears pooling in the back of the woman's eyes. She saw Tony out of the corner of her eyes look down in his lap.

"Lagos."

The building burned, paramedics rolled a body to the ambulance. The camera focused on a dead woman, and Wanda looked down, and Steve intervened.

"Okay. That's enough," the video flashed off.
"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

Ross slid a thick document across the table to Wanda. She passed it to Cassandra, who passed it to Rhodey. Secretary Ross explained it while it was being passed around.