29

"How is that allowed!" I stand up and shout as the ref blows a whistle

"How is that allowed!" I stand up and shout as the ref blows a whistle. Sky grabs my arm to pull me down but I stay standing with my hands fisted at my sides as I watch Chase stand up and brush grass off of his shorts.

This time, I'm watching the game from the stands and after witnessing enough practices and games on the tv, I've come to enjoy watching soccer as long as one of my friends isn't getting hurt. Chase seems completely okay as he jogs back to his position, so I sit down.

"You're intense." Sky comments and I smile sheepishly.

"Sorry. It's just...Chase." I say as if that's all the explanation needed for her to understand. She smiles and faces the field again. I force myself to do the same.

Wearing Chase's jersey, I feel like I belong in these stands, cheering him on along with the rest of the guys on the field. My competitive side comes out in full force and I'm screaming and cheering each time the team scores a point. Situated in the front row just behind the Greenville benches, I feel like we have the best seats in the house.

A whistle blows and Chase runs off the field, holding his hand out when he passes by Maddox who jogs to replace him. When Chase gets to the bench, he lifts his shirt up to wipe the sweat from his face. I swear I can hear excited screaming and the ball isn't even in play.

Sky starts laughing from beside me and I shake my head, snapping out of my daydreams and realizing that my mouth had literally dropped open at the sight of Chase's washboard abs. "Oh my god." I laugh and put my head down in mock shame.

Ignoring my sexual frustration, I manage to make it through the game with minimal drooling and only cheering when necessary. "Do you want to come over to the soccer house?" I ask Sky when the game ends.

"No, that's okay. I think I'll just go home. Thank you though." She smiles shyly and waves, weaving through the crowds of people leaving the stadium. I lean over the edge of the railing and wave to the guys, smiling and giving them a thumbs-up.

"Meet you at the truck!" Chase calls out and I nod, waiting for the crowd to die down before exiting the stadium. It's a windy night, so my arms erupt with goosebumps as soon as I'm no longer protected by the walls.

A hand is placed on my lower back and I tense before looking over my shoulder to see Chase. "Hey! Good job. That was fun."

"I think I could hear you cheering actually," Chase smirks and I laugh, he's probably right about that. "I know you were coming over to hang out anyway, but the boys decided to throw a party. You still up for it?"

"Hell yeah."

"Hell no," I say as Maddox holds up a ski near my mouth. The ski in question has holes drilled into it to fit shot glasses in. The shot glasses are filled with tequila.

"C'mon. One won't hurt." He pushes it towards me again.

"Okay fine. Just the one." I concede. Maddox calls Luke over to do it with us and flashes from cameras go off as we all raise the ski simultaneously and drink the shots. Wincing, I give them each a high five and then wander around the party. Talking to various people I'd met since school started, I realize that being friends with soccer players really helped my social life.

"Neat trick," Chase says as he steps directly in front of me. I'm able to stop just before I run into him and make a confused face. He nods his head towards his jersey and I look up, smirking. I'd tucked the hem of his jersey into the bottom of my bra to crop it.

"It's too hot in here to wear it how it is." I shrug unapologetically as I watch his eyes dart back to my tan stomach.

"Hey, pretty boy. I don't come with subtitles." I mockingly glare while putting two fingers up to my eyes and then turning them to point at his. The universal sign for 'I'm watching you'. Chase holds his hands up in surrender.

"You know that's yours now, right?" He asks as we start to walk around, his muscled arms brushing against mine.

"Yeah, I know," I say, running my fingers back and forth on my lips as I watch his from the side. Chase looks forward as we walk and he leads me out onto the back porch. We sit down on the stone step and look out at the moonlit yard.

Hesitantly, I lean my head on his shoulder. Now that we're friends, I'm scared to mess up what we have by saying that I want him. But I try to show him without doing anything that can't be taken back. We may have made a friendship after the second time, but I have a feeling that three times would be when our luck wears out.

A glass shatters inside, making a noise loud enough to hear from outside and I jump, straightening up. Chase turns to me and puts his hands on my biceps. "You okay?" I nod. "Lexi?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"...Of course." I respond after a brief pause.

"Do you—"

"Chase! My buddy down the road told me he saw cops driving in our direction."

"Ah shit. Angel go upstairs, yeah?" He asks me and I nod with wide eyes. My heart beats rapidly and I do as he says, watching as everyone tries to get out through the front door. The music is off and I have to push my way through the panicking partygoers to get to the stairs.

I open Chase's door and sit on the edge of his bed, shaking with nerves. Will Chase be in trouble? Or one of the other guys? Do they search houses? Will I get charged? I could lose my scholarship. What was I thinking?

Despite my panic setting in that makes me question whether jumping out of the second-story window would give me better odds, I stay put and wait. After texting Faye and receiving no response, I decide to change.

I rifle through Chase's drawers until I find a blue t-shirt that says 'London' on the front. Stripping off his jersey and pulling on the clean shirt, I remove my jean shorts and climb under the covers. After a while without anyone walking through Chase's door, I fall asleep.

 After a while without anyone walking through Chase's door, I fall asleep