38

Gradually, over the month of October, Faye had been possessed by the spirit of Halloween and it shows when you step through the door to our apartment

Gradually, over the month of October, Faye had been possessed by the spirit of Halloween and it shows when you step through the door to our apartment. Un-carved pumpkins are sitting on the counter with cute mini ones spread all over the tables and shelves as decorations. There are also fake spiderwebs in all corners of each room, and fake bones are all over the place. Every item in the fridge is either orange, green, black, or purple and I'm still not sure what the significance of those colors is.

"Hey," Faye says dejectedly, moping on the couch in an all-black casual outfit.

"Hey. You still upset about the costumes?" I ask her and she shrugs. Faye's favorite holiday had always been Halloween, not that she ever needed an excuse to dress up. This year, our costumes are cliche but we think we are really clever. Faye is upset that costumes aren't worn during the day in university by most people.

Tonight will be my first night back at the soccer house for a party but I am determined to let my worries go and have fun. I've made it to University; I owe it to myself to at least enjoy the years I spend here.

"C'mon Grumpy. Let's get this day over with. The sooner class is over, the sooner we put our costumes on." I sing and Faye cracks a smile.

"Yeah yeah, don't break a nail."

During Calculus, I sit between Maddox and Chase, unknowingly setting myself up to listen to their distracting questions for over an hour. Chemistry had only gotten worse with the addition of Reece.

"I'm hoping that she'll dress up as a schoolgirl. That way I can dress up as a professor and we can act on our forbidden love." Maddox purses his lips and closes his eyes. I push him away with my hand on his face so that he ends up kissing my palm.

"What, are you going to put on glasses?" Reece asks condescendingly and Maddox rolls his eyes, his expression giving away that that was exactly what he was planning to do.

"Angel, c'mon," Chase begs and I laugh, shaking my head.

"You and Faye should go as lifeguards. You already have your volleyball uniform and that would work perfectly." Reece adds, probably fantasizing about Faye in a Baywatch style one-piece.

"We already have our costumes." I sigh, bored. Our chemistry professor's voice drones on for what seems like forever and the guys continue to guess our costumes as I look at my phone, texting Faye.

Me: I'll pick you up after class and we can head back together. Can't wait! Xo

Maddox leans over my shoulder to read my text and I turn it to face him, not having anything to hide. "Why do you guys want to know so badly? You'll see them tonight." I ask, curious.

"The anticipation is killing me. I also kind of want to match Faye. She won't tell me either." Reece pouts and I shake my head. I can't wait for Faye to see what has been right in front of her for months.

"That's because we have self-control," I say and Chase laughs, rolling his eyes.

"Right. Says the girl who will go back for seconds no matter how full she already is." Chase says, referring to the small scene I'd made yesterday in the dining hall.

"It's hardly the same, and they were serving spaghetti." I defend. "I've never met guys who cared about costumes so much."

"We're obviously not your average guys," Chase says cockily but god is he right.

"Whatever. Wait a couple hours. I'm sure you'll live." I say as I pack up my things, checking the clock on the wall just as the professor dismisses us. Thankfully, there are no labs tonight and I can enjoy my afternoon with Faye before joining the boys at the house.

"See you later...witch!" Reece yells as a guess but he earns himself a couple of glares from other students. I cover my hand to stifle my laughter and exit the room, eager to pick up Faye.

"Oh. My. God. We're so fucking hot." Faye says as we stand side-by-side in front of the large mirror in her bedroom. A surprised frown forms on my lips and I nod with a tilted head, appreciating the time and effort that Faye put into this.

Our costumes contrast perfectly and I smirk at the thought of Chase's reaction. Faye shakes her head in disbelief. "Alright, I cannot wait any longer. We have to go. I'm not going to sit here looking this hot all evening."

"Fine."

When we get to the soccer house, I open the door and gesture for Faye to walk in first. More guys than the ones that live here are walking all around in effortless costumes, busy setting up the party. We're the first guests to show up although they all know us by now.

As they notice us, turning and pausing their movements, I'm surprised when I find an equal amount of attention on me as Faye. I wasn't the one wearing red leather pants and lingerie. Fittingly dressed as an angel and a devil, Faye wears the tightest pants I've ever seen, a red lace bustier, devil horns, a spade-shaped devil tail, killer red heels, and perfectly applied dark makeup to complete the whole look.

I am the opposite. Insisting on no heels, I have white flats on my feet as a compromise. Sheer white stockings cover my legs, held up by garters that are hidden by my short white satin dress. My back is completely bare aside from two thin crisscrossing straps, the dress covering everything necessary and little more. On my head is a halo, and I have only brought the perfect feathered wings for photos, planning to ditch them in Chase's room at the first opportunity.

After allowing Faye to fuss over my makeup, she agreed for a natural look but applied white product to my eyelashes, giving them an ethereal appearance. The glitter spilt all over my body was apparently an 'accident' but I didn't believe Faye for a second.

Maddox comes down the stairs and pauses on the last step as soon as he lays eyes on us. "Oh, holy shit. Chase! They're here!" He shouts up and I widen my eyes. What if he thinks I'm only wearing this for him? I kind of am, aren't I? I turn around, fully prepared to exit this house and never return but Faye's small hand grips onto me and refuses to detach.

"Don't even think about it." She sings and my heart beats faster as I hear heavy footsteps descending the staircase quickly. Taking off towards the bathroom on the lower floor, I open and close the door behind me, not at all as prepared to see him as I thought I was.

 Taking off towards the bathroom on the lower floor, I open and close the door behind me, not at all as prepared to see him as I thought I was