2. My dead husband

I rubbed my eyes as I let myself slowly wake up. Last night was a huge blur. All the events seemed part of some weird dream I had to try to piece together. I moved my hand away from my face to see the small blue ribbon tied in a bow on my ring finger.

My stomach dropped and nausea flooded through my body. So that part of the night was not some sick dream.

What kind of crazy person gets married when they are blackout drunk?

The answer to that question I guess is me.

I heard a low groan in the bed beside me and I whipped my bed to the side just in time to see Harlan roll over and rub his own eyes.

"What the hell happened last night?" He grumbled to himself.

When he finally turned to look at me his eyes went wide. He looked down at his hand to see his own blue ribbon tied on his finger.

"Fuck."

"Yeah." I nodded.

He eyes went back to me and he scanned my body. I pulled the sheet up higher feeling slightly self conscious under his gaze. It wasn't like I was naked but laying here in only a bra and underwear was not something that made me all that comfortable. Even if this guy was now technically my husband.

"Did we?" He gestured between us.

"You don't remember?" I questioned.

"I remember the I do's and then the celebratory shots and then the rest is kinda fuzzy."

"We didn't have sex, we did however dance around the room as way to consummate our marriage which might be slightly more embarrassing."

His face turned pink as he seemed to slowly start remembering more of the night.

"I can't believe we are married right now." He flopped back on the bed and stared up at the ceiling.

"It was your idea."

"But you agreed to it. Everyone knows to ignore all my crazy drunk ideas." He argued.

"Don't try to put the blame on me." I shot back.

"It's seems like the better option than blaming myself."

"I don't think you're supposed to want to divorce your husband the morning after the wedding," I frowned.

"Damn you already want to get rid of me?" He faked hurt.

"Desperately." I nodded.

"Have some fun, live a little Ava. Let's enjoy at least one day as a married couple. I think I want to show off my wife a bit." He beamed and grabbed my hand.

"You do know we are not actually a couple right?"

"We are married."

"Due to drunk circumstances." I pointed out.

"Most people drink at their weddings," he waved me off.

"Unbelievable." I muttered and crawled out of bed forgetting my lack of clothes for a second.

When I caught Harlan staring I glared at him.

"Can you turn around?"

"Don't be shy, I'm your husband." He leaned back against the head board with a stupid grin on his face.

"You'll be my dead husband if you don't give me some privacy." I threatened.

He just laughed and covered his eyes.

This was going to be a long marriage. I didn't know how I'd make it through with him. I was setting myself up for disaster, it was one thing that he was my best friends brother. But a whole other thing that my heart seemed to be stuck on him. He'd hurt me without even trying. The best thing I could do for myself was end this marriage and put as much distance between us as I could.

Once I finished getting dressed and ready Harlan grabbed some clothes and slipped into the bathroom. It wasn't that long after that I heard my phone start to ring.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey! I was thinking of doing a celebratory breakfast this morning with all of us. You in?" My best friends voice flooded through the phone.

"Celebratory?" My heart stopped, did she know about the wedding.

"How much did you have to drink last night? Kieran and I are engaged!"

I almost slapped myself in the head. Of course, I didn't know how I had even forgotten that for a second. Not that I could really blame them but if it hadn't been for the announcement of their engagement I don't think marriage would have been on either Harlan or my own minds.

"Sorry I just woke up everything still a little foggy. I'm super happy for you Jade, I'll let Harlan know and we will meet you two down there."

"You're with him right now?"

I just stood there for a second not knowing what to say. I should deny it but Harlan would be the kind of guy to let it all slip and then Jade would know I had lied to her.

"Of course not, his room is right next to mine so I figured I'd just drag him down with me." I lied.

I'd tell Harlan to keep the whole marriage thing to himself.

"Right." I could tell she didn't believe me but I'd try my best to make it believable.

Just then the bathroom door swung open and Harlan walked out as he finished buttoning his jeans.

"Well I'll see you downstairs." I told her.

"Is that my sister?" Harlan walked over reaching to grab the phone.

I swatted his hand away hoping he got the message.

"I just want to congratulate her and tell her the big news Mrs. Shepard." He teased.

"Is that my brother?" My best friend accused.

"Of course it's not." I lied.

"Ava." She said sternly.

"I'll meet you downstairs for breakfast, congratulations again." And I hung up as fast as I could.

"That was just rude." Harlan frowned.

"You can congratulate her at breakfast." I waved him off.

I looked down at my hand again to see the ribbon still there. When I reached to untie it Harlan grabbed my hand stopping me.

"Leave it."

"No I don't want your sister knowing about this. She just got engaged and the breakfast should be all about her not our drunken mistake."

"That hurts, are you already ashamed of me?" He pouted.

"Will you be serious for a second?" I smacked his arm.

"Ok fine, I won't tell her but you have to leave the ribbon on, just for the day."

I nodded. I mean who would look at a ribbon and immediately guess that we had gotten so drunk last night that we thought getting married was a good idea?

"Come on let's go get some food." He threw his arm over my shoulder and led me out of the room.

Out of all the people to marry, I was beginning to regret that it was him. Harlan never made anything easy and marriage seemed to be included in that.

A/n-

My concussion is basically healed so I restarted writing and planning for this book. I'm at a road block right now because I have two ways I could take the story and I'm trying to figure out which is the best plot line to go with. But I think I'm leaning towards one and once I make that decision writing will be a lot  easier and I might be able to do some more frequent uploads.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh