⤷ 06| FLIGHT OF THE FAT LADY

chapter six : flight of the fat lady

☆ ☆ ☆

June arrived in the Great Hall right before the Halloween feast would begin. She slid onto her usual seat next to Angelina and Alicia, and in front of the twins.

"Right on time," Fred said, patting his stomach. "Food should be nearly here . . ."

As soon as the words rolled from his tongue, dinner appeared and the five of them dug in.

"Halloween feast is by far the best feast there is," Angelina said between bites.

"I don't know," Fred replied. "The Welcoming feast is surely not bad either."

The feast finished with an entertainment provided by the Hogwarts ghosts. They popped out of the walls and tables to do a spot of formation gliding; Nearly Headless Nick had a great succes with a re-enactment of his own botched beheading.

Angelina, Alicia, Fred, George and Juniper left the Hall, all in a good mood. The five of them followed the rest of the Gryffindors along the usual path to Gryffindor Tower, but when they reached the corridor which ended with the portrait of the Fat Lady, they found it jammed with students.

"Why isn't anyone going in?" Fred asked curiously.

"I'm going to see what's happening," Juniper said and she pushed her way through the crowd. She stopped abruptly upon seeing the portrait.

The Fat Lady had vanished from her portrait, which had been slashed so viciously that strips of canvas littered the floor; great chunks of it had been torn away completely.

"Let me through, please," come Percy's voice, and he came bustling importantly through the crowd. "What's the hold-up here? You can't have all forgotten the password — excuse me, I'm Head Boy . . . Juniper what's the fuss?"

And then a silence fell over the crowd, from the front first, so that a chill seemed to spread down the corridor. Juniper could feel Percy freeze beside her and they exchanged a quick worried look.

"Somebody get Professor Dumbledore. Quick," Percy said, in a sharp voice.

People's heads turned; those at the back were standing on tiptoe.

"What's going on?" Ginny asked, from somewhere behind June.

Next moment, Professor Dumbledore was there, sweeping towards the portrait. Dumbledore took one quick look at the ruined painting and turned, his eyes somber, to see Professor McGonagall, Lupin and Snape hurrying towards him.