Prologue

I didn't know how I  got home but somehow I did. Reaching for the security panel to enter the code to enter my  shared apartment, I noticed  my hand trembling.  Her words still echoed  in my mind a chill up my spine. I felt cold inside, lost and confused. All I could ask was, Why?

"I'm pregnant, Skyler . It's Brandon's'." 

I  blinked a couple times realizing I've been holding my breath. Gasping, tears filled my eyes as I  pushed air down my lungs. The door slams behind me as I staggered in, barely making it to the living room before my knees buckled. A heave left my mouth, trying to pick myself up but everything is weighing down on me all at once. 

Her confession, his lies. The truth.

"We hadn't meant for it to happen. We were drunk."

"He loves you."

Her big doe eyes almost convincing me.

"We just got caught up in the moment."

"It was a mistake, you are his life, not me."

Her angelic voice shakes as she reached for my hand , apologies falling from her lips.

"I'm keeping the baby but I'll respect whatever you and Brandon end up deciding to do."

Sobs quaking out  tears endlessly stream down my face, shaking  my  head like that would silence the chaos of my mind.
What if maybe it was fate that they saw each other again after years of breaking up? That they ended up having to work again despite Brandon's efforts to stir clear from Cassie?
Or maybe she's always been on his mind. After all these years. Maybe? How can she not be? They've had history. They've known each other since high school, he was with her for how long. He loved her.
Maybe I was  just too blind to see? Maybe, he still loves her. After all this time. That's why this happened.
Maybe that's why he had sex with her even though he's engaged to me?