𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐼𝐼

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝚁𝙾𝚈𝙰𝙻 𝙵𝙰𝙼𝙸𝙻𝚈 𝙾𝙵 𝙲𝙾𝚁𝙾𝙽𝙰 𝙸𝚂 𝙾𝚄𝚃 𝙸𝙽 𝚃𝙾𝚆𝙽

"C'mon V!" Angry said as she and Catalina sped ahead of Varian.

   "Slow down!" Varian said, panting. "Ugh, why did I agree to watch you two today."

   "I don't know. I've been wondering the same thing all day," Angry said. The girls stopped running and Varian caught up.

   "Ok ladies, what do you wanna d—"

   "Excusez-moi monsieur, veuillez acheter un journal à un pauvre orphelin (excuse me sir, please buy a newspaper from a poor orphan)?" Varian looked down next to him. A young boy, about the same age as Angry and Catalina, was standing next to him, holding a newspaper.

   "I'm sorry?" Varian said, as he did not understand a word the kid said.

   "Please buy a newspaper from a poor orphan, sir," the boy repeated.

   "Oh, of course!" Varian handed the kid a penny and the kid gave him a newspaper in return.

   "Thank you," the kid said, running to a girl about the same age as Varian. They were only a few feet away, so Varian walked up to her. "Is he your brother?" he asked.

   The girl looked at him. "He's my friend's brother," she replied.

   "Where's your friend?"

   "Out selling newspapers like us. And are these two your sisters?"

   "Oh, no." Varian said. "They're my friend's kids. I'm just watching them for a few hours. I-I'm Varian, and these are Catalina and Kiera, but we call her Angry."

   "I'm (Y/N) and this is Benjamin." (Y/N) stuck out her hand and Varian shook it. "Looks like the kids are gettin' along." Benjamin, Angry and Catalina had moved a few feet away, and were playing hopscotch.

   "Yeah..." Varian said. He quickly glanced at the kids, but then back at (Y/N). Her (H/L) (H/C) hair was tied up in a high ponytail. And she wasn't wearing a dress. She wore pants just like boys did, which was a rare sight for Varian. She held on tightly to her white satchel which held the newspapers that she didn't sell yet.

   "So," (Y/N) said, looking back a Varian. "You new in town? I ain't never seen ya before."

   "Oh, I'm here visiting with the king and queen of Corona. I'm a friend of the princess. I'm also the royal alchemist," Varian said.

   "Cool," (Y/N) said. "So you must be like... really smart then."

   "Well... I guess. I-I mean I don't know everything in the world. I'm just really good at alchemy. Not that I know everything about alchemy. I just know more about alchemy than other things," Varian said quickly, blushing slightly.