5. Rejection and a glass of water

A/N

Picture of Mr. Penson (Ryu Seung Ryong) to the side.

Please continue to support this story. This chapter is unedited so please excuse the errors.

*****

Suzzanah's POV

I think I could successfully say that I knew exactly what it felt like to have a heart attack after having stared at the CEO's shocked face for a good 10 seconds while he stood paralysed in front of me. My wrist was still firmly clasped in his hand but I was doing everything I could to not let my fingers make contact with the skin of his neck which I was holding till just a few seconds ago.

In the span of those 10 seconds, I had opened my mouth several times in order to apologise but no sound came out of my mouth. Then again, that might not be so bad. If he thought I was mute, he was bound to have some sympathy for me...right?

But Master Cole and Mr. Penson know you can speak you nincompoop!

I facepalmed inwardly. What do you do when you know that you are going to get fired but can't do anything about it because you brought it on yourself? Then again will getting fired even be the worst of my punishment?

"Do you want to die?!"

Mr. Talon's words from before rang in my ears.

"He won't kill me for not bowing to him", I had replied him but then what about for an attempt at strangling him, regardless of the fact that it was unintentional. Truth is I wouldn't be surprised if he killed me this time around. Heck, I would readily kill myself right about now!

Master Cole cleared his throat loudly and that shook both me and the CEO out of our respective thoughts. The CEO, whose name I had been told by Mr. Talon but had very shamelessly forgotten, turned his gaze away from mine to look at Master Cole who stood by the large wooden desk. His eyes moved to and fro between me and the CEO as his expression morphed from one of confusion to one of realisation. He smiled smugly and continued to stare at the CEO. It looked like they were having a mental conversion through eye-contact alone.

Suddenly the CEO's head jerked back to look at me. He immediately let go of my hand and backed away as though I had some kind of contagious disease. The loss of his touch immediately sent a wave of longing through me and I was puzzled at that feeling.

The CEO turned away from me so that his back was facing me. He put a hand to his forehead, fisting his hair in exasperation and my expression immediately turned into a worried one.

Was he okay?

Instinctively I took a step toward towards him and his back stiffened visibly. My body urged me to go to him and I took another step forward. It was as if my feet were moving on their own. My mind couldn't understand a thing of what was going on, all I knew was that I had an overwhelming urge to comfort him, no, not an urge but a need!

I took another step towards him and he straightened his back, standing to his full height. He was still turned away from me and I found myself wanting to see his face.