30

"He looks busy..." 

I was walking around the room while waiting for him to come back. Dalawang oras na siguro ang nakakalipas nang sabihin niyang kukuhanan niya 'ko ng pagkain. It was already late but I wasn't feeling sleepy since I just woke up from a long nap earlier. Naiinip na 'ko kaya tinitingnan ko na lang ang mga gamit niya. 

It was like he had his own unit, pero sa hospital naman. I sat in front of his study desk to check the paper he was doing. It was about medicine. I was just curious, so I read some of it, but I couldn't understand anything. Chineck ko rin ang papers na nakalatag sa tabi. He had so many books with him, and all of them looked organized. 

Maybe he was working again kaya ang tagal niya. Baka pinatawag siya. They said residents were called residents because they resided in the hospital. They were too busy to go home. 

"Hey, Francine, can you cancel my schedule for tomorrow? I'll tell Arah. I'm not feeling well." I called my assistant while waiting inside the room. I went back to bed and just sat there. 

[Sure, Ma'am. Pagaling po kayo. Call me when you need anything. Papabalikin ko na po ba 'yong driver? Pinasundo po kayo ni Ma'am Arah.] 

"Ah, yes. I already texted the driver. Thank you." 

I ended the call when the door opened, and I saw Clyden looking down on the floor. He silently placed the paper bag on the study desk and removed his coat, breathing heavily. I wanted to talk but stopped when I saw him holding the edge of his desk, gripping tightly while looking down. His coat was already on the floor, and he looked... devastated. 

I stood up and slowly walked towards him. I picked up the white coat on the floor and tried to fix it, only to see little stains of blood on it. I blinked twice and looked at him, slowly getting why he was acting like this. 

"Did something happen?" I asked softly. I didn't want him to suddenly burst out. 

"It's... It's fine. Here's your food." He was breathing heavily when he handed me the paper bag, still refusing to look at me. It looked like he didn't want to show his face to me. 

I looked at his hand and saw a bloodstain on it, too. I didn't stare for too long and just placed the food on the small dining table near the refrigerator. He walked to the bedroom and closed the door, leaving me. Maybe something happened out there kaya siya natagalan. 

I was on a diet, but because he bought the food for me, kinailangan kong ubusin 'yon. Niligpit ko na rin ang tinapon sa trash bin bago ako humiga sa sofa. Clyden wouldn't go out of the bedroom. Was it a sign for me to leave? Should I leave now? I thought he wanted me to stay here. I didn't have my clothes with me so really I needed to go home. 

I stood up and knocked on the bedroom door para makapagpaalam sa kanya bago ako umuwi, but he didn't answer. When I held the doorknob, I noticed that it was open. Unti-unti kong binuksan ang pinto at nakita siyang nakaupo sa kama at nakasandal ang dalawang siko sa binti habang nakahawak sa ulo. He looked like he was in pain.