Chapter 33: Devasting Charm (unedited)

Beatrice

Abruptly, Karl grabbed me by my shoulders and pulled me back. His gaze was sharp as he stared back at me wordlessly. I looked back at his eyes which were emotionless than any other and in that moment they were even more so. The longer I gazed at him I found that I had wanted him to be changed for far more than my schemes or to show Cedric that I was capable of devising my own plans without him.

The disappointment I felt when I was met with an unfeeling man was that of a woman rejected by a man that she had an interested in. I had not been one to be involved in elaborate courtship. It seemed like George and I were made for each other right from the beginning and our engagement and been natural just as our relationship had been since childhood. As a matter of fact, I found courtship laughable but I had been privy the scorn and shame women felt when they had been rejected or the man they were in courtship with married someone.

Karl had not asked for my hand or shown me any interest. I imagined their disappointment felt similar to how my chest ached as I stared at the beautiful but unfeeling eyes. The realisation hit me like thunder beating the ground. What had I been thinking? My loyalty belonged to George and him alone. Everything I did was to avenge him.

Wordlessly, Karl licked lips and stood up with me in his arms. With ease, he carried me just as carelessly from the cloak and laid me down. He covered me and sighed. "If you move and rip open that leg again, I'll kill you."

As soon he turned his back to me, I sat there with my hand over my lips, baffled. I don't feel anything. It was merely the shock of my failed scheme which took me by surprise.

Karl returned a moment later with one of the fishes on the rod. "Eat. It's a long swim to the other side. You'll need all of your strength before we can attempt to swim to the other side."

I removed my one hand from my lips and accepted the nourishment that he was providing. He went over and returned to where he had been sitting close the fire.

Needing time to not think about him or give further meaning to what I had done, I ate in silence. I had been hungry for some time and wanted the ability to enjoy my food but my taste buds were not working and I still had a headache. I only ate a little bit and without having anything to occupy my mind, my thoughts returned to Karl had his distant posture.

He was always so distant but even in a moment when we couldn't have been any closer, he seemed even more further away. There was a brief moment where I thought he held me in his arms and that moment was terrifying for me. I sunk into him and more terrifying than that was the latch which remained close inside of me, threatening to come undone. If he ripped it open, it felt like he could redefine my soul.

That was never supposed to happen. This had been a game of will to end the monstrous tyrant. I didn't have many feminine wiles but I at least hoped to use a few of them to make Karl help me avenge George and my people. He was never meant to shake my missing heart or make me feel anything other than the physical action.

I had to guard my heart better. There was no option to stop this but I had to guard my heart far better than I had in that moment. With his cold exterior and comforting nature, he never ceased to take me by surprise. Words were often contrary to his actions.

Watching him sit there in silence, I wondered if he thought about our kiss as I did. The kisses George and I shared were chaste— a good night kiss on the cheek or that last goodbye of which he held me in his arms still brought me to tears.

How could I let something so beautiful be ruined by a moment preceded by a harsh reality? I had not known kindness in a long while and it was not difficult to confuse Karl's acts of humility for more.