Chapter 1

HER

I woke up with the sound of screaming outside my room. Waking up, I went to the living area only to be seeing my two best friends arguing, probably for some immature reason.

"Hailey, Trevor, stop arguing at this instant! What is wrong with you guys?"
Both of them stopped and looked at me.

"This imbecile told me that I look fat like a pig," said Hailey.
"Well, she asked how she looked just now, and I told the truth."
"Trevor, you're not supposed to be bringing down your best friend," I said.
"Girl, she is having an unhealthy eating habit, as you know, and she barely exercises," Trevor said.
"Hey! Amy does the same too! Why don't you tell her as well?"
"Oh, no-no-no. I wouldn't tell Amy that. She's my innocent baby girl."

I blushed.

Sighing, I said, "Guys, enough with this immature argument, and Trevor apologize to her." He whined. I laughed and went back to my room.

After showering and getting ready, I went to the kitchen. I made myself and my best friends grilled cheese, considering they love my grilled cheese. Breakfast was quite lovely, the three of us talking about our lives, especially Hailey's studies, and my plans after graduation. Yes, Hailey is still studying while I graduated with my degree in computer sciences two weeks ago. Not my decision, though; it was my parents'.

I insisted on taking cosmetology because I love makeup and hair, but my parents didn't listen. I didn't mind their decision because they always know what's best for me and computer knowledge is useful in this day and age. Even though I was not too fond of it, I did ace the degree. I was planning to work as an IT person in a company, go for cosmetology classes after a few months, and start a hair salon after saving enough money while being a makeup artist on the side. I know my plan seems far fetched, but I will work hard for it because this is my dream.

Trevor went to his room while Hailey watched the television when I was going out of my apartment. When I reached for the door, Hailey said, "Amy, whatever you're doing today, please coming early." I looked at her as she said, " Amelia is having her birthday party today. She invited the three of us, and we're going to that party. I am so lonely, and I bet there are some rich and hot guys there." That's right, Amelia's full name is Amelia Marie Lockwood. The Lockwoods are one of the wealthiest families in my city. Having a chain of hotels, they are pretty much an influential family. Amidst the wealth and the influence of the town, the Lockwoods are indeed generous people, especially Amelia. She hates it when someone calls her a rich girl. She even dresses up like an average person, unlike some girls who spend thousands on one outfit, which is pointless since they'll be wearing it once.

Hailey said it was true, though; there must be many people at her birthday party, especially business partners of the Lockwood family and potentially good looking guys. She's not wrong, but I am not into dating or being in a committed relationship because I have a dream to achieve. Second of all, no one's going to be interested in me anyway as I don't care about my appearance even though I love makeup and hair. I love being someone's makeup artist or hairstylist but not for myself. Call me anything, but I don't care because it's just who I am.

"Sure, Hailey. By the way, I need to go job hunting today. And don't worry, I will come back early for Amelia's party. I wouldn't miss it for the world." I said, and went out of my apartment.

Walking to Starbucks, which is just across the street from my apartment complex, I ordered myself a Caramel Macchiato with whipped cream. After getting my drink, I sat down at the nearest table. While I was looking at my phone and drinking my glass, I felt like being watched by someone. I turned around and looked at my surroundings, but there was nothing that stood out. This feeling always occurs to me once in a while. Thinking of it as paranoia, I shrugged it off and continued drinking my drink.

Coming out of Starbucks, I went to my car, and again I felt the feeling of being watched. I quickly went inside my car, locked the doors, looked around, and met with nothing. Just the vehicles and pedestrians on the road in front of my apartment are not suspicious. Completely shrugging it off, I started the engine and drove to the first location of my job hunting. I truly hope I could find myself a stable job for a few years regardless of any company before pursuing my dreams.