67

The smell of something burning wakes me up from my sleep and my arm tightens around the sleeping form curled into my side

The smell of something burning wakes me up from my sleep and my arm tightens around the sleeping form curled into my side. Lexi's soft brown hair splayed out over my chest as she uses it as a pillow. Our breathing is in sync and I groan at the fact that I'll have to get up. Gently lifting her arm that is wrapped around me, I slide out and lay it down on the bed, pulling on a pair of shorts before exiting the room.

"Faye. What's on god's earth are you doing? I thought we agreed to stick to peanut butter and jam." I groan as I enter the kitchen to see a sheepish Faye.

"I am." She snarks, gesturing to the jars on the counter. "I just decided to toast the bread this time." She admits. Chuckling, I grab a towel to fan the smoke away from the kitchen to avoid setting off the alarm.

"Did you use a blowtorch? What the hell happened?" I ask, keeping my voice relatively quiet to let Lexi sleep longer. Vitaly brushes up against my leg, his little tail wagging fiercely as I squat down to pet behind his ears and look back up at Faye.

"The toaster isn't working."

"It's not working," I say, standing up to look at it. "How many pieces of bread did you put in it? One?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Then why is it on the setting for eight?" I laugh, unable to stop myself.

"I thought that meant minutes!"

"Even still. Eight minutes for one slice of bread?"

"Well, now I know. Don't be a dick." Faye laughs, throwing out the charred slice of bread, careful not to burn herself. I change the setting on the toaster and put in a couple more slices. Lexi emerges from her room just as I take a seat at one of the bar stools. Sidling up to me, tiredly, she wraps her arms around me and I place a delicate kiss on the top of her head.

"Morning, love," I say and she hums, the vibration moving through my chest.

"I'm heading to Ferndale to see Felix, probably going to spend the night there," Faye says while looking at Lexi. "So you guys'll have the place to yourselves." She winks at me and I watch amusedly as she jumps a little when the toast pops up.

"Who's Felix?" I ask curiously.

"Little brother." I nod in understanding.

"Tell him I say hi. I haven't seen him in forever. You should get him to come stay sometime soon. Maybe in the summer?" Lexi asks, her voice still scratchy from sleep, and Faye nods, grinning.

"Bye!" I call out as Faye moves to leave with her toast in hand. She waves in response and closes the door behind her. Turning to face Lexi so that she now stands between my legs, I lean down to kiss her lightly. "What do you want to do today?" I ask, dragging my fingers up and down the sides of the taut skin of her waist. Dressed in only a thin cotton bra and shorts, Lexi looks like she walked straight out of one of my dreams.