Accidental Offence

Korra and Asami took Sukara to their friend Bolin's house. They had introduced their new friend and had gotten into a conversation which had Sukara backing herself into a corner.

"So you must be a water bender right?" Mako asked as he slouched over his chair, "are you good?"

"You could say that," Sukara laughed, "let's just say I could probably take you in a fight."

"Maybe," he laughed, "after getting my ass beat by Asami, I had myself knocked down a bit. I've stopped overestimating myself."

"Really?" Sukara asked, her face scrunched a little at his comment.

"What? Think I couldn't take you?" Asami asked playfully.

"No I'm sure you could hold your own but he's a bender that's all," Sukara chuckled. But she was alone in this, the tone of the conversation had grown tense.

"Are you saying that because I can't bend, you're what? Better than me?" Asami asked defensively. She had had people question her before about her ability because she was a non bender and she wasn't one to let even the subtlest of comments go.

"No, it's just-"

"Are you a bendist?" Bolin asked, leaning forward in his chair.

"What?! No! I don't think that certain benders are better! That's ridiculous," Sukara said, trying to defend herself.

"Being a bendist includes non benders Sukara," Korra told her sourly, her once kind expression turned into a glare.

"What?"

"Yeah, bendism is when you think your bending is superior to others," Bolin said, "whether that's against other benders or non benders."

"I used to be, I'll admit it," Sukara explained, sitting up properly, "there was a large part of my life where I was a bad person. Asami I am sorry if- no, that I offended you. I truly didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I will do my best not to let it happen again."

"It's alright," Asami said bitterly, "just don't do it again."

"I won't," she promised her.

And she meant it, she did. Sukara knew that she had a lot of learning to do. She'll admit that she was surprised to have a lesson so soon after waking up but she was glad that it had started early.

Her prejudices were her own to bear and she knew that. She had been naive to think that just saying she was going to stop would be enough to change. She had to put it into practice.